Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What type of Valve to control the flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJSH

Civil/Environmental
Jan 29, 2013
US
Wastewater Effluent Application- Small flow (200 gpm), pipe size 3inch, single speed pump. The pump runs at approx 360 gpm at 68 ft TDH. I want to reuse the pump by moving the system curve creating more head loss (add more pressure) so that the pump will deliver 200 gpm at 92 ft. What type of adjustable valve should I add in the system.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

a fairly standard globe valve will probably do this for you, but only if your pump will actually give you 92ft. A standard centrifugal will struggle, but you need to get the pump curve. The pump vendor / his website will help if you haven't got a copy. Any valve needs to be good for the duty though as internal wear can be very high, especially if you have solids in it.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

I would be concerned that Globe valves are not fit for the media - what is the solid content?? A better valve would be a plug valve because the shaft seals are protected from the entrance of grit and the plug is designed to close against wastewater and effluent with particulates in it.

However, if you have specific question about an application, this forum has industry experts lined up ready to answer your question

Create a data sheet and go out to vendors with your characteristics. Then choose. A valve can't create pressure/head which doesn't exist though....

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back