What valve is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRmecheng

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2022
GR
Hello,

I have this valve which is located on the steam outlet of an old Steam Generator. It looks to me like a Y-type Globe valve (On the P&ID the type of valve is not specified but by older operators it was always called "needle valve). The piping dimension is 8" while the flange rating is 300#.

As you see the face to face length of the valve is approx. 660mm. However a F-F length of 660mm corresponds to an 8" 600# globe valve (ASME B16.10).

Am I missing something? Is it maybe some other kind of valve?

Thank you in advance.

20230829_142503_hqain8.jpg
20230829_142435_zujxma.jpg
20230829_142255_owv2my.jpg
20230829_142300_lxcn5u.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks pretty much like a Y pattern globe valve to me.

A few of the stud bolts don't look fully engaged with their nuts though on the left hand flange of photo 2....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank you both for your answers.

It must be a stop check valve. After googling "stop check valve" and "crane", I found this and it gives a length of 660mm for an 8" 300# valve just as the installed valve.

But why doesn't the length actually conform to ASME B16.10? Are the dimensions of a stop check valve specified by a different standard/code?

EDITED: Link was edited because in the initial post a wrong link was pasted

That's what it looks like as Y shaped valves are only listed as class 150 in B 16.10.

By dint of the Y shape they need to be longer and at least is conforms to something....

Those valves are a curious mix of a globe valve, non return and isolation valve, but the link doesn't mention the issue of the screw at all!

Actually I pasted the wrong link. The correct link is this.

On this technical datasheet they mention ASME B16.10 for Face-to-Face/End-to-End even though I cannot find any 8" 300# globe or check valve that has a length of 660mm in ASME B16.10.

LittleInch said:
but the link doesn't mention the issue of the screw at all!
Which screw do you mean?

At least I think I have figured out that this must be a stop check valve (since it is at the steam outlet of a steam generator and because of the fact that the length of the 8" 300 valve is 660mm)

Thank you both for your help.
Any additional feedback is welcome of course

P.S.: Here is the full catalogue. Stop check valves are mentioned from p.25 to p.30.

What I meant was it talked about the check valve part, but didn't mention anything about the globe valve or isolation which is controlled with the screw shaft.

When you Google stop check valve, they all say it is a valve with multiple functions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back