Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What was the last SW release which did not poll the license server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaGirlDad

Mechanical
Feb 29, 2012
US
I skipped from SW2005 to SW2009, and somewhere in between began the polling of the license server to assure that the license is valid and not being used more than once or installed more than twice. Does anyone remember what release that started with?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds like you have entered a serial number for a network based license. You need to install a license server to use that serial number. Best to talk with your reseller.

All FlexLM, or whatever it is called now, license controlled products poll the server to be sure you are still connected and using the license. If it is going out to SW website for some validation, then you need to get with your VAR and install it correctly.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I know that 2006 did not, and 2008 did. I didn't use 2007, but I believe that it was the release that made this switch. I believe that was also the same release where they switched from 3rd party licensing software to the FlexLM.

Joe
SW Premium 2012 SP1.0
Dell T3500 Xeon W3505 2.4Ghz
6.0GB Win7 Pro x64
ATI FirePro V5800

It was 2008 when in my opinion they vastly improved the interface.
It was also when they implemented the 24 character Alpha Numeric first 16 remained the same and 8 chars mix of numbers and letters (NumericAlpha?) like A2CD 5EF8
This is not an actual code or at least not mine. "1 2 3 4 5 Only an idiot would have that number on his briefcase" - Spaceballs, This is the First spoiler I ever used. Nice option Thk U Eng-Tips

There are ways to trick out the registry but I'm not going to tell you how. One a customer of the VAR I worked for found/told me about when he was having trouble returning a borrowed license from a user on vacation.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ Shweep
= ProE = SolidWorks

Thanks to all who posted. FYI, I'm not trying to "cheat" on my license (which is legal) -- at least in any way that would harm the company -- I'm simply trying to allow my daughter to learn on her own computer in the evening when I'm not working, although I don't want to go through the hassle of releasing the license and such when I may want to pick SolidWorks up for a few minutes and do something. She hates my Desktop computer and I won't let her use my powerful laptop (she's not as careful with it as I am). An earlier version of the software is fine for learning purposes, but I didn't much like SW2005 because of its bugginess (even with SP5, the last service pack).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back