Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What whould you like to be? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamby

Structural
Feb 12, 2002
Knoxij's thread reminded me of the standard interview question "where/what whould you like to be 5 years from now?".

As a deterministic individual, like all typical Indians, I have never found out the answer. All I could think with my little imaginative capacities are better salaries, home and car.

Perhaps other members have some inspiring answers. Please share.

Ciao.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I want to b what I am now, a design engineer. Unfortunately, pressure is mounting for me to climb toward management.

Really, I'd rather just design, if you please.

[bat]I could be the world's greatest underachiever, if I could just learn to apply myself.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

It takes great fortitude to hold your position against career creep. But, given the right conditions, it can be made to work.

At least, for me, I've fought it off for about 26 yrs. Luckily, my management thinks well enough of me to let me get away with it. ;-)

TTFN

Oh, I forgot to answer the question.

Actually, I've wanted to be lead guitar in a rock band, but I'm both aurally and vocally challenged ;-)

Seriously, now. I'm happy with systems engineering. There's lots of grundge work in writing and maintaining specs and requirements, but concept development and cranking new analyses are good things.

TTFN

I don't especially want to be a manager, but the standard has dropped so far that it is becoming essential that someone with some engineering ability gets involved again. Our current crop has engineering too far down their skills list - or missing entirely in one or two cases - for this to be healthy for the business.

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

5 years ago I had no idea where I'd be now. I think I was sort of hoping to be living somewhere else. Which is definitely a goal for 5 years from now (originally 1.5 years from now but I see mission creep...)

If I'm my usual lazy bum self I'll be doing *exactly* what I'm doing now, with a faint chance of getting my manager's job on the off chance that he moves on, if I even want it at that time. (I liked that job the way his predecessor had it, but not the way he has it, and if it's the job that's changed more so than the occupant, I don't want it any more.) And I'll be depressed.

Otherwise I'll be someplace else, doing a slightly different job, having given up some of the nice freedoms I've carved for myself in my current position that I'd never be able to get away with anyplace else--or else I'll have gone out on my own and I will be scared silly and probably starving to death.

Hg

Eng-Tips guidelines: faq731-376

Five years ago I also had no idea where I wanted to be now (I just graduated high school.) I suppose since I am employed in what I thought I wanted to do, I'm ahead of the curve.

I always wanted to be an engineer from my youth. Now I want to stay an engineer until I die. But I want to remain a design engineer and not creep slowly into management.

I'm movin' on up!! I love engineering, but looking for management soon (that's where the big money is :eek:)!!). So far I've had two years in industry, and am getting ready to go back for a masters degree. It's one thing to dream about what you want to be or where you want to go. It's another thing all together to go after it and do whatever you can to get there.

I am with ctopher on this one, in five years time I would like to be 52, okay not very exciting but sure as hell is better than the other option.

When I was 13 I wanted to be a race car mechanic. When I was 23 I wanted to be a race car designer. Now I would like to first make it to 65 and second have a job until then.

Maybe I would like to play drums in a jazz band, but I just started learning.

I wanted to design & build racing cars when I was 30. Now at 43, I'd like to own/rent some 1930s and 1940s aircraft and fly in them on the weekends (As a passenger. I'd hire a crew). But I currently only have enough money to fly in them a couple times a year briefly (What a blast they are!).

5 years ago- finished first year of electrical engineering, but still had no idea what I wanted to do. I was good at math & science, so engineering seemed like a good way to make a living until I find the perfect life. Figured it was better to pursue something I liked instead of waiting to find something I loved.

Today- been employed a year, otherwise the same.

5 years from now – hopefully either still doing design work and have my PE, or will have found dream job doing who knows what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back