Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHAT WILL BEND THIS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marine/Ocean
Jan 8, 2003
CA
I hve a sheet metal part that i alumunum 0.08" thick. one of the edges is curved an i need to fold a 1" bend along that egde. any machine that will do this? there are also other patterns similer to this but the curve is not he same. the machine would need to adjust for the varied curves.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are likely a number of machines to do this but you omitted some important information: the radius and angle of the leg (.09R on a 1" leg or 3"R on a 5" leg), leg in or out; Radius of curve in the plate, importance of surface finish (some things can be hammered into shape but not if a mirror finish is required), size of sheet and to some extent, the alloy.

Griffy

alloy would be 5053-h34 aluminum
1" 90 degree bend with radius no more than .125"
suface finish not to important
plate curve radius about 48"

the machine we currently use is a ERCO hammer flanger. It is very old and on it's last legs. We cannot seem to locate another like it.

thanks for the reply. anymore info would be much appreciated.

One method that we use a lot in carbon steel is to brake the flange on a press brake and then run the sheet through a pyramid(slip) roll with grooves cut in the rolls for the flange.
At a 48" radius, this should not be difficult.
Another option might be the use of a flanging tool on a Pullmax machine. Sounds like it may be similar to what you are doing now. Basically, the Pullmax is a circle shear using a nibbling action but it can be adapted to straight, curving or combination nibbling, flanging or ribbing.
A third option is a machine built by Blue Valley for flanging tube. We use one of these on a production part. It is more of a spin forming process and more pricy than either of the other methods but if you have a number to do, it might work.
You never said whether the flange is inside the curve or outside. It do make a difference!
Good luck.

Griffy

I would use a jenny wheel. This will turn a very good flang and keep it flat. to make it easier to turn over you could first anneal the edge. This is done by heating the edge with a flame to the correct temperature (wipe on some soap first and when it turns black it is at the right temp) leave to cool naturally. This will soften the material and alow the edge to turn over without splitting.

renwod.

could you elaborate on what a jenny wheel is? Everything I have found called jenny wheel is rather useless to my needs. example. a spinning jenny wheel for rolling up hose.

Thanks for responding.

A jenny wheel is a hand or mechanical mechine for flanging and creatting ball swages and the like. It is used in many fabrication workshops and training colleges. I beleave they sell them in most diy car renervation mags or engineering suppliers. hope this helps.

Renwod,
By any chance are you meaning an "english wheel"? If 112275 is only wanting to make one or two this might be an option but it would take some expertise.
112275, you never said how many of these you wish to form so appropriate tech level is something of a guess on our part.

Griffy

This "flanger" would be use in the production of small (under 6 meter) aluminum power boats. I guess we would be making about 30 parts a day.

The Erco Flanger is still made by the TCE Corp. If you let me know how to contact you I can give you their contact info and or fax you the sales brochure for the machine(the rules of this forum say you aren't supposed to post phone numbers).

Nigel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back