Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What X/R ratio should I consider for Bus Design using IEEE Std 605? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

veegrid

Electrical
Sep 16, 2014
US
What X/R ratio should I consider for Bus Design using IEEE Std 605?
for grounding study, I typically enter X/R=20 in CDEGS software. However, for bus calculation, can I consider X/R=10?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

X/R for the system/source. It is not available, So looking guidance about what number can be assumed for conservative number. OR how can I derive that.
I have transformer test report on hand.

One of the white paper I was reading, mentioned that when X/R for source is not provided it is safe to assume 12 to 15. However, I did not see any other detail with that statement, so not sure if that is okay to use.

Again, it will depend on the voltage level 12 to 15 could be a reasonable assumption for 15 kV systems. But seems low for a 345 kV system. Generally higher X/R the higher the voltage.

ok, thanks. Actually this is giving me good start for thinking further. I was looking for X/R for design consideration for 115kV tubular bus for 115/13.8kv system. so 12-15 is incorrect.

Distance to the source is another key factor. At the end of along line, it can be quite a bit lower. At a generating station, it might be 20-25. Using 12-15 is probably not going to be that far off in most situations but could be low for high voltage sources close to your substation.

Let's use the X/R from ANSI/IEEE C37.10 for power transformer and system short-circuit power according to IEC 600076-5 Table 2 – Short-circuit apparent power of the system- for 100 to 123 kV.
I agree with dpc. If -for instance- there are 5x 440 MVA 22% transformers [in a power station] supplying a total 10000 MVA short-circuit power at 115 kV [with X/R=40], at the end of a OHL of 2 parallel lines of 500 MCM ACSR 1mile length[x/r=3] then total X/R=10.5.For 10 miles length X/R=4 and so on.
So X/R =10 for the supply system of 115 kV it could be close to actual [maximum].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back