Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's a body? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenMandu

Industrial
Jul 22, 2007
US
So I'm trying to relearn SW, and have come across "bodies" in the Tickoo book.

Now, I know sketches are used to make features, which make components, which make assemblies. So what the heck is a body???

Thanks a million!

Ken

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From SWx Help:

A folder named Solid Bodies appears in the FeatureManager design tree when there are solid bodies in a single part document. The number of solid bodies in the part document is displayed in parentheses next to the Solid Bodies folder . You can organize and manage solid bodies in the following ways:

Group bodies into folders in the Solid Bodies folder .

Select commands to apply to all bodies within a folder.

List features that belong to each body.

You can create multiple solid bodies from a single feature with the following commands:

Extrude boss and cut (including thin features)

Revolve boss and cut (including thin features)

Sweep boss and cut (including thin features)

Surface cut

Boss and cut thicken

Cavity

Heckler [americanflag]
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001

o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Avoid the base hypocrisy of condemning in one man what you pass over in silence when committed by another." -- Theodor

I have never made a part that was more than one body. All the tutorial parts I've made have a "(1)" after "Solid Bodies."

When my text book mentions a body, I'm safe to assume that means the part/component?

Ken

KenMandu ... create a part with two or more features. When extruding the features you should see the Merge option in the Feature Manager. By default it is checked, uncheck it and a multi-body part will be created.

[cheers]

Using Multiple Bodies in the design process for one component is huge, and you will love it when you wrap your mind around the concept. Essentially, you can perform top down desing within a single part file now, rather than creating a component based assembly.
Try this... Draw a box, the draw a thin feature on any corner (for instance a 1x1x.125 piece of corner trim).

Extrude it with the Merge results button unchecked.

You Now have two solid bodies.

In your solid bodies folder, right click the (Thin-extrusion and click insert into new part) Voila! you have a new assmembly component without ever creating an assembly.

This works great when trying to hash out the look of a new idea or assembly really quick, to get your message across, then, if it arrives at, let's prototype it, or build it, worry about a polished assembly.

Not to mention the fact that it makes lofting a dream.

Best of Luck!

Craig

I extruded two separate rectangles to create two separate boxes, but I can't find anything about merging. Though I bought the Student Edition three weeks ago, they gave me 2006. Maybe that is the problem?

And as I recall 2001, each feature of a component had to be built onto an existing feature. This separate bodies thing is definitely something new.

Ken

Two bodies can be coincident or interfering, and yet remain as two bodies. Merging can be accomplished only if they're at least coincident somewhere besides an edge or point (surface)--so they have to be touching.

Have you checked out SolidProfessor or any of the other tutorial items? They might go a long way in getting you up to speed with many of the more recent updates (as well as updates from 2003). [pipe]

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

I can't find anything about merging bodies in my SW2006. Nada. Zip. Nothing in the Feature Manager. No right-click discoveries. Nothing in the help section on merging bodies. Bodies are talked about though.

Maybe this merging thing isn't available in 2006.

I also just tried making a rectangle and extruding it. The on the same plane as the rectangle I opened a new sketch and drew a triangle with one edge being shared with the rectangle, and extruded it in the same direction as the rectangle. They showed up as one body.

This is how learning goes. Beat your head a lot but you finally get it.

That SolidProfessor is expensive for a Rip Van Winkle pauper like me, but I'll bet it's the bomb.

Ken

Technical support for the Student Edition is via email only. No phone support at all. So you know what that means.

My last two emails went unanswered.

I will try again and ask about merging bodies.

Ken

Ken,
When you do the rectangle, triangle test, go back to Feature Manager and RMB the SECOND extrude and Edit Feature to see the merge box. The first extrude does not offer a merge option since there is nothing to merge.

I do now see the "Merge Results" check box. I also made a cylinder and rectangular box in the same sketch. They weren't touching, but still the merge option was there.

I checked and unchecked it, but couldn't tell that it made a difference.

Also, the naming convention in the feature manager tree hasn't come to me yet. First the 2 bodies were named revolve and extrude. The names were in the opposite order of their creation. Then, I shelled the box, and the names of the two bodies then became revolve and shell. Confusing to me right now, but it will come with time.

For as important as this feature is, I wish there was more about it in the SW help index.

Thank you, all.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back