Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whats the best way to move a basic 2d part to 0,0,0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zrob

Structural
Aug 4, 2007
Guys I have to admit, some items in UGS are great others seem a bit strange, such as I am trying to move these parts to 0,0,0 and I am trying to do so with Edit->Transform and some times I get it but most of the time more often than not I cannot get this simple operation to move.(see pic)

Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just go into Edit -> Transform... select all of the objects that you wish to move, then select Translate -> To A Point and the first point you select is the 'Reference Point' on the object that you wish to end up at 0,0,0, then select the point on the Datum CSYS as the 'Destination Point' and then hit OK. It should work every time.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

I have to say, the transform dialog is kind of awkward to use. Can't wait for it to get spiffied up to the new more modern type of dialog boxes

John is correct, but as a clarification you could also input 0,0,0 as the Base Point for the move to location in the Point Constructor menu.

Gary Ashby
Designer
UG/NX V8 Thru NX5
SolidWorks 2007
AutoCAD 2002 & 2008

MCGNX, glad I am not alone here! Because this command is awkward to use and it does not work all the time, UGS needs to supply a basic move command. It seems that the two parametric CAD packages that I have used in the past have both had not so good 2D tools. Now please don't take me wrong here I need to get better myself, its a great 3D CAD package all and all.

peace

and thanks for the help!

John, that sounds like exactly what I would want. As a new UG/NX user I find the commands that I call "legacy UG" commands (that is, ones that don't have the new spiffy dialogs and drag handles) to be the most cumbersome, and it's cool to see these things change almost before my eyes (which is what happened with the hole command).

John,

For an old hand this all sounds a bit of a storm in a teacup since we've been using transform for ages without difficulty. Yes the way a component is repositioned is nicer, but it is also essentially a simpler task, and lighter especially if you have loaded only the lightweight version of the component. For actual geometry in the file I hope that either the old version will still be available, a non-preview mode or anything other than dragging the model and all it's dependencies dynamically and evaluating as it goes. I fear larger models would become quite heavy to work with in such a way. Any thoughts?

Best Regards

Hudson

Hudson,

The problem is not so much the functionality as it is the Dialogs. Without the new style dialogs, you can't create a Journal file, you will never be able to use Redo, and it would always be an issue of inconsistency. But at the same time, if we're going to make the investment to update the dialogs then we should get our money's worth and also bring it up to new standards in terms of both functionality and behavior. For example, under the appropriate conditions the new Move Object function creates parametric 'features' which will provide for new possibilities and work-flows.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Cypress, CA

John,

Don't get me wrong it all sounds fine, just so long as it comes with a performance increase not a deficit. Some of the visual visual preview methods with blends and extrude etc have the ability to turn of the preview on the rare occasion when the selection process benefits from not being slowed down by heavy graphics demand.

I suppose that I was also a bot taken aback by the level of discontentment coming from some other posters earlier in the thread since this has never been a feature that particularly bothered me. On the other hand it isn't as if upon seeing how components can be repositions we hadn't all wondered that it shouldn't be possible to work similarly with part geometry. There will be a few people whose first though might be "At Last".

I wasn't aware that transformations weren't supported by Journaling, perhaps just because using it that way never occurred to me. If that is the case I'd like to look into better support for use input pauses in Journal creation.
The likely downside I suppose would be that one more area where grip support will have headed south.

Now you know that some of us have long memories so I sure hope that rotate about a point and between two points works really well. I remember changes to that it the past that gave some people pause to complain. It was post V10 but which version I'd be guessing now. Anyway it seemed that it was somewhat neglected and underestimated the number of times some people use that functionality.

Best Regards

Hudson

Well I like to think of it as constructive, my post contained a balance of good and not so good feed back, nothing more.

Let explain how I move an item in my favorite cad package:

Snaps are on already,
hit the M key (no need to go to any menu),
select any object, select the snap point of that object,
select new snap point on destination object, done.

There was not one menu or dialog box involved its FAST and works every time.

In my job I have to modify existing geometry a lot, so I have to cut and pate items out of existing drawing then move items to a new drawing and re-position things then I create a new solid from this. 10 arc options

I will point out one more thing, I should work as a developer for UGS, because I have valuable feedback!

Does UGS have 10 arc command options? I was working in another parametric package and I could not get the arc I need, so once again I had to go to my favorite other CAD package to do this arc, this package has 10 arc options its great!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=734f5451-c50a-489f-a2a6-90f4d4083cf6&file=arc.GIF
Zrob,

For NX 6 if you wish to use the Move Object command, just press Ctrl+Shift+M and while it is true that a dialog comes up, if you hit F3 it's gets hidden and you can continue without a dialog. Now select the object you wish to move, select origin point, select destination point, hit OK and you're done.

as for...

Does UGS have 10 arc command options?

No, NX has 11 (see image below).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Cypress, CA

Zrob,

I don't care if it is intellectually possible to find 50 ways to create an arc, (like 50 ways to leave your lover). At the end of the day one users who quotes "everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler", has it right. You need more than one way to create an arc I'll grant you, but it's a fairly basic piece of geometry so there can't be that many practical differences between some of the means of construction. Hands up who uses more than two or three?? Regularly???

John,

I'm guilty of creating arcs in two ways, basic curves and sketches that's all I ever use. So shoot me! While I have looked at the other myriad new methods and they're good for what each does, it hurts if I have to make a decision so I tend to plump for the intuitive or maybe best known method. You introduced new line creation tools a while back also. These are pretty good... except that it won't do parallel at a distance. I'd be all over it with praise if it could, but until then I use it less frequently, because of how I think during working with curves. I just about recognize that I want to make a line a circle or a corner fillet, then I pick and icon, then I figure out what to pick in order to construct the thing. I don't like to have to stop and visualize the construction method before I select the tool for the job. It is the same when I model lots of things that I don't know what it is going to look like until it is done. I suspect that this touches on subject matter to do with the way different people think.

On the upside I hope to experiment with the radial pop-ups upcoming that you have mentioned. I think it will become less of a pause in the flow of things if my focus does not have to be drawn off the graphics window. I even shun using two screens which many colleagues seem to luxuriate in as I greatly prefer to stay focused on the visual center of what I'm working on. This ties in with the curves thing in that I'll stay in the one dialog for a while if I can.

Best Regards

Hudson

I agree too, though I am bringing up an actual problem I am experiencing using parametric CAD Packages, they are so focused on 3D that they seem to be missing some fundamental 2D abilities at least thats the way I see it.

Basically I now do all my various 2D profiles that need modifications such as moving, trimming, offsetting, copy, in a non parametric package because its much faster, then I convert it into UGS and finish it off in 3D.

But hey what do I know.....

John,

That looks wonderful. I'm really impressed. I like the whole look of it. Where are the menus?

BTW You probably should have cropped the image.

Best regards

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back