Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What's the default contact damping value in ABAQUS/Explicit

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertt3

Mechanical
May 31, 2024
HK
Which one is the default setting? All I can find in the ABAQUS document is that "For ABAQUS/Explicit the default value for the tangent fraction is 1.0". But I just want to know if the default setting is "DAMPING COEFFICIENT" or "CRITICAL DAMPING FRACTION" and their default value.
%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE_20240721103419_fbyzcj.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found these words in document,"For ABAQUS/Explicit the default value for the tangent fraction is 1.0; therefore, by default, the damping coefficient for the tangential direction is equal to the damping coefficient for the normal direction. Furthermore, in ABAQUS/Explicit softened contact and hard penalty contact have a default critical damping fraction of 0.03". Maybe this is what I need.

robertt3 said:
Furthermore, in ABAQUS/Explicit softened contact and hard penalty contact have a default critical damping fraction of 0.03

Yes, as you can see, the default contact damping for those types of contact (excluding hard kinematic contact) is a critical damping fraction of 0.03.

Contact damping is independent of material damping. It's just some numerical damping used to eliminate/reduce instabilities and convergence difficulties with contact.

Ok fair enough. That's a numerical viscosity to help the solver get convergence mostly used in nonlinear analysis. I think the term damping is not appropriate isn't it?

Structural stress Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back