Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the most usefull degree for product design? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidinindy

Industrial
Jun 9, 2004
US
I am going to continue my education and get at least a Bachelors degree. I have an AAS in drafting/cad now, that I got in 1993. I looked into going back to school once before, and they said that my credits were too old, and I'd have to retake many classes. Then they went on to say that I might be able to test out of some. I really would like to pick up where I left off, but wonder if that's smart. My general ed classes I'm sure I could, but I would probably need to retake the math. CAD kinda took a lot of what I learned and made it unneccesary. In other words, it does the math for you, so you don't use what you learned every day.
Anyway, What degree would you recommend? I want to do product or machine design. I want a degree that will be pretty universal.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

buzzp... I would have to go part-time... I'm married with a 2yr. old, and hope to have a new day job soon.
I'm just running into issues with "too much experience, not enough school". I wonder if going to school will have a positive effect on job-hunting (Gee, this guy really wants to better himself) or negative (Gee, This guy is going to want us to pay for his schooling)...
I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do...
Meanwhile, I'm sending out resumes, networking, and trying to keep my wife from killing me because I haven't found a job yet. I've turned down some because we don't want to move. Another because it would involve living in a hotel 3 nights a week, and another because it was doing mold design, and didn't pay nearly what I think I'm worth doing that. I've got one prospect that is waiting to get these two large orders to hire me. (Not holding my breath, although I interviewed with them twice, and have a pretty good feeling about them.)
Anyway, sorry I got off on a tangent... just venting frustrations.

davidinindy,

I went back to school for my EE after 16 years as an analytical chemist. At the time, I had 1 ex-wife, 2 kids with ex, 1 new wife and 1 dead-end job. My new wife was getting a degree in Chemistry and I convinced her to change majors. She is now happily employed as a Chem Eng.

Anyway, after helping her with homework, I opted to go back to school. I had been building gadgets and repairing test equipment at the lab where I worked so I decided to go the EE route.

First, I went to a local junior college and retook the Calculus series and Linear Algebra. To save money, I took as many classes as I could there. I switched to the University and took 2-3 classes per semester until graduation. It took me about 4 years even though most of my 16-20 year old credits transferred. It was worth every minute.

Now, I go to work each day with a great attitude. My wife says I'm the only person she knows who gets paid to do his hobby. Plus I don't clutter up our house with test equipment and projects in progress anymore.

My point is, find something that you really like and go do it. As noted previously, pick an employer or position that you want and get the degree/training to get you there.

Good Luck!

I understand. I would be tempted to take one of them local jobs for now. This may increase your chances of getting a job you really want. With all the layoffs and such employers like to see the people they might higher working. This at least means they are not bottom of the barrel talent. Do you see what I am saying- the 'bad' ones are the first to be laid off while the 'stars' are the last to go. This is how many companies think. Although, in many other cases it just is not true but you get my point.

davidinindy,

Have you considered industrial design? It's not exactly engineering, although the school you go to can slant it greatly more toward either art or engineering. I received my BSD (bachelor's of science in design) from ASU in 1996.

I highly recommend it, since I went to community college for three years wandering around before discovering ID. I didn't like the stifling "stay-in-the-box" mentality I found in the engineering classes (no offense to engineers--I'm mostly an engineer--it was the class attitude I didn't like). The ID program at ASU accepted my classes as transfers, but I still had to put in another four full years because of the studio nature of the classes (AARrrrgh!) I made it through--intense program.

This question probably depends most on what interests you. What do you like about cars most? If it has anything to do with the sexy curves, etc. you might be ID material. If metallurgy, structure, efficiency, perhaps engineering. Check out the subject of ID and see if it's something you've overlooked.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

I want to add to my post from earliar (lack of time). First it should say 'hire' and 'higher' above. Anyway, in the electrical world we have an associates degree which can take you a lot of places, technician. However, I think you like mechanical stuff and I don't really know of any mechanical programs you could get in 2 years (probably some but hey, I am electrical). Do not be discouraged about not being full fledged engineering degree neither.

It sounds like your not into moving so I would contact some local employers who would use your talent and ask them what their thoughts are concerning an MET degree. You don't have to tell them why you want to know but push hard to find out (heck tell them your a college student doing a research paper so you don't have to leave your name if your worried about them knowing who you are). This might help you decide about the MET program. One thing is for sure, no matter what college courses you take they will help. Society puts a lot of value on degrees no matter what they are (for the most part).

I think this degree with your EXPERIENCE will help you get the job your after.

I went back to the school banks at the age of 23 with a scholarship in a foreign country for a bsc in mechanical engineering. Didn't regret a moment I took that decision. When I look back I only regret 3 things:

1- I didn't had the opportunity earlier
2- I couldn't combine it with an electrical degree
3- I didn't knew my future employer at that time

Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Man! The great advice just keeps coming! I'm going to look into the Industrial Design... I spoke to many Engineers at the Manufacturing and Design show in Chicago yesterday, and was dismayed that many of them do more paperwork than designing... That's not what I want. I want to design machines, products, and things people can actually touch and use.
I am going to meet IUs head of Engineering tomorrow armed with this information and get his input and check out the classrooms and labs.
Thanks again and keep it flowing. I've noticed some other threads of people in similar situations and i'm sure they're reading this too. Hopefully I'm not the only one you all help.

Please disabuse yourself of the notion that there exists a job where you get to or should design 100% of the time.

> A typical project can last from months to years, depending on the product and the industry. That means that you'll be spending a sizable chunk of your time doing requirements, analysis and design reviews.

> Someone who has only done the design portion of a project is potentially an ineffectual designer, because he hasn't done the product integration and productionization portions and will most likely design unmanufacturable products.

TTFN

Designing is paperwork, engineering also.

I once "designed" (better improved) a part to be made by a local machine shop.
The design: 30 minutes in autocad, then the journey starts-

-purchase request
-authorization
-purchaser order
-verification etc...
- check if they already payed the contractor before you appear with a new job...

Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

ID people typically get a greater degree of freedom from paperwork. Some draw pretty pictures, sit down and meet with engineers to blend forms with reality, and move onto the next project.

I've got "paperwork" merely because I run my own business, but not quite so much because of the nature of the work. Certainly it cannot be escaped, but engineers definitely do the bulk of it while ID people dodge it. (ID people often don't spec materials, etc., which is something I think they should do much more of.)

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back