Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's your most desired enhancement? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilasH

Dec 19, 2006
US
If you could add one functionality to SolidWorks, what would you do? Maybe it's something that's incorporated in an add-in like SolidMap, but you'd like to see fully integrated. The majority of my work isn't creating designs (or if so, they usually aren't complex), but presenting them, at first with PhotoWorks, and now with Animator some. It really, really bothers me that Animator can't do transparency with PhotoWorks materials. Maybe if I understood the intricacies of the rendering process, there's some reason why it can't be done, but as it is, it just bothers me. What really gets under your skin?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's ironic--I was just going to mention that transparency problem. But I think I'd lump lots of things into the Animator category as a sort of interface update and general stability enhancement. For instance, I can create an animation, which in SolidWorks will play back very glitchy (not just my graphics card) and often turn my key points red (which I hate). When I save to eDrawings, the animation is smooth and beautiful.

Animator is very unstable and quite a stubborn mule to use. You can get results if you do your planning right and quadruple the amount of time you'd otherwise expect it to take. It's funny that I can drag a component in my assembly and get a smooth drag of all dependent parts, but if I do the same in Animator, I get all sorts of errors with red key points.

So that's my vote. Overhaul Animator.

(This may well become a gripe-fest.)

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

The ability to create a cut sweep using a solid (instead of 2d profile) that follows a path so you can easily replicate cuts that are made with 4 and 5 axis milling machines, something that is almost impossible to do at the moment.

mncad

I agree with Jeff on Animator.
I would like to see more on architecture layout/design.
Most of all, make the installation process easier.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 5.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 02-10-07)

I think I'd vote for integrating SolidMap. I saw it the first time just recently, and seems a no-brainer. I've been wishing for just something like it, but for $8000 I certainly can't jump for it.

I vote for a more simple surfacing method a-la-alias instead of having such a dimension/plane driven method as it has now.

I vote for no more new stuff and just make the current stuff work right.
[ul][li]Simplify search folders/search pattern, and also allow search folders to go through subfolders (if designated).[/li]
[li]Get splines to behave as well as splines do in UG and Pro/E.[/li]
[li]Add a blatant ripoff of Pro/E's "Variable Section Sweep"[/li][/ul]

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

I 100% agree with TheTick's list. And one other thing

- Stop knee-jerking to the ACAD user base. If they haven't learned SWx by now.....they never will. Some people are just destined to stay in the 2D world. Win over customers by being the best-in-class not a product that kisses-up to a somewhat endless money-stream.....

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

in order of preference:

1. make the current functions work like they are supposed to
2. fix the d*mn flexible assemblies, this is a CAD program, not a pretty still picture paint program.
3. drop photoworks and integrate its functions in SW
4. use direct3d for rendering, instead of opengl (ala max), this would make SW benefit from better drivers (more stable) and cheaper graphics cards (eg. more power for your cash).

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer

Get splines to behave as well as splines do in UG and Pro/E.
Add a blatant ripoff of Pro/E's "Variable Section Sweep"
Coulden't agree more.
&
-Making freeform not limited to a 4 sided face/srf.
-Surface knit diagnostics built into the command.
-Variable face/srf offset, Rough face offset.
-Elliptical fillet feature.
-Projecting curves normal to surface.

{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
"que?"

Work: Dell Precision 380-PENTIUM D 840 -PNY QUADRO FX3450 Drivers 77.56-2GB RAM--SW2007 SP1-RHINO 3.0 SP5
Play: Intel X6800 Core 2 Extreme - Asus P5W64 WS Pro i975X -2GB Corsair XMS-EVGA NV7900GTO(Mod. GTX Bios , FW93.71)-74GB Raptor-250GB WD Caviar

Here is a simple one that I wish they would toss in. When I put balloons on a drawing (Auto or Manual) I want to be able to righ click and <Add to Stack> like I can if i used stacked balloons in the first place. Currently you have to delete the balloon and insert a stacked balloon when you need one.

Yeah, Nice to finally see the truth in print...
Let's just say they gotta do something for 2008 or I'm not using this crap anymore...
The software is suffering from the Peter Principle big time. I used to love my job, now I can't stand getting up in the morning, and it's all to do with SW 2007 SUCKING.

Strange ... I'm the opposite ... I love using SolidWorks in my job and actually look forward to going to work.

I agree there should be no more new stuff added till existing stuff is fixed and 100% stable.

As for SW being "crap" ... I guess it all depends on how you use the program ... crap in = crap out. The majority of people frequenting this forum have few problems with SW.

[cheers]

Wow Razberryjones, perhaps it's time for a career change. I never know what kind of mess I'll have to deal with when I turn on my PC in the morning. Sometimes all it takes is some auto-update and there goes half the day. I still love what I do.

As for SW, anything that can make the detailing (2d print) process faster is always great by me. That's the tedious part of the job. I'm not sure that switching from OpenGL would be so good because the OptisWorks RayTrace software I'm using w/in SW requires an OpenGL card.

Harold
SW2007 SP2.2 OPW2007 SP0.0

Razberryjones ...
It was not my intent to insinuate that you were a crappy user of SW, although after re-reading my post I can clearly see how that could easily be assumed.

Recalling some of your previous posts, you are having (have had) far more than the normal amount of problems with SW. As I've stated before, if you start a new thread listing the problems and system specs, there are many here who will be more than willing to offer advice and suggestions ... but PLEASE, omit the ranting SW bashing rhetoric.

[cheers]

I agree with crap in , crap out.
It's all in the hardware and settings (and some user processes). If the correct procedures are followed, SW works awesome!
It's not like ACAD where it can be installed just about anywhere/anyhow.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 5.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 02-10-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back