Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WhatsApp Groups made for projects- what are my rights? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfat

Structural
Sep 8, 2008
PK
Now a days, i am facing this problem that architect/ PM makes a group on whatsApp and add us in it. Since you don't need to ask anyone for making a group, that if they wish to join or not, its becoming very common that people do it. They add you in that group with Client, and other consultants and expect you to be a part of it.

These group and discussions are a total distraction for me, and i dont want to be part of it. I tried to tell a few people so, but they insisted on it. I feel frustrated that first, i am not being asked whether i want to be part of it, and second, if i exit from the group, it sends a harsh image of mine.

I want to know what are my rights? how do i put it nicely in words to tell everyone, that i shouldnt be expected to attend and respond to all those several conversations on whatsapp group, in which i am being added without my consent.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems that those apps just give them the chance to change things twice as fast and three times as often.

If you're looking for billable hours, that's the ticket! Every change incurs substantial re-analysis, re-design costs; you might be able to retire after a year or two of that.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Even the whatsapp group with my immediate family can be a bit much!

I second the advice to mute the group and look at it once or twice a day when you have time to scroll through and find stuff that relevant to you that you need to follow up on, and suggest that you use the desktop version: web.whatsapp.com

I like it because I'm still better typing with all my fingers than I am with just my thumbs. This also makes it easier to just deal with the group messages when you're at your desk.

DO NOT PROVIDE ANY DECISIONS or OPINIONS in such a system. Allow your involvement to be limited to coordination of events/activities only.

A Great Place For Engineers to Help Engineers

Follow me there.....

Regarding rights I would say it is a matter of your employers policy. My employer provides me with a smartphome and several means of communication (phone, e-mail, Skype etc). I am also allowed to use it for private needs. That may seem like a 24/7 situation but we have a policy against that. I am of course allowed to answer a call outside working hours, but I am not required or even encouraged by the company. It is entirely my choice. In reality, if I can answer I usually do it, a bit depending on who calls, but this type of calls are very few.

Now this pm with WhatsApp, what are his expectations? Let's say that you have several projects working like that, should you chat with A while being at a meeting with B. What response time do they expect? I have WhatsApp but only for private use. There more I think about it the stranger it seems as a professional tool for communication. But if you find it a huge distraction, mute it.

All, of course, depending on your companys policy.

Thomas

This is an interesting discussion - I work in China for a component supplier (different industry but same challenges) and this is typically the MO for working over here, it's basically an expectation that *some* level of communication will happen through WeChat (Chinese WhatsApp). I've had general managers of customers run meetings with us through WeChat voice calls because they don't remember their Outlook/Skype login details...

We get all kinds of communications through Wechat from customers - failure reports, warranty requests, technical discussions. My team is fairly customer facing and it's taken me a while to impress on them that even if we have discussions with customers through messaging services we should be following up with a courtesy email, etc, to make sure everyone is aware of the discussions being had.

For me personally, it's a nuisance but somewhat of an expectation. Typically if something escalates through to me or the other foreign managers we will acknowledge reciept of a message and respond through email when we can but disengage from the discussions by text. Sometimes it works, sometimes customers aren't so happy.

In the end Whatsapp is just a tool, and it's more about how you choose to have an effective communication flow with your customers. I find that this messenger services are used typically as emails are seen as slow and easy to ignore. If you can prove your more official communications are timely and reliable most clients will be happy with whatever tool is used.

Don't install WhatsApp.

Problem solved.

I am of the generation who 'should' be using WhatsApp, and all these other things like Twitter and Instagram and NewFancyOnlinePresenceTool, but don't. If you want me, email or phone.

Keeps it pretty easy.

Thanks to all for discussing it in detail!
appreciate it! as it was really helpful in forming my opinion and decision!

Sfat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back