Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wheel Load Near Retaining Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

2meterman

Structural
Dec 6, 2006
US
Hello All,

I'm working on a residential design that has a full basement below a one-story house. One of the basement walls is adjacent to the attached garage. So this wall has a full backfill of 8'-4" plus a wheel load that is about 2' horizontal from the front axle to the face of the basement wall.

How do I convert the axle load of the vehicle into a surcharge load to place next to the basement wall? All the design examples that I can find start out with a wheel load already give in psf. What I am looking for is a method to convert a known wheel load of 2,000 lb to a psf surcharge load placed at the top of the wall. I know the footprint of the vehicle's tire and its air pressure. But I'm a bit hazy on how to convert this to a psf loading for the wall.

Does it matter that the wheel load cannot get any closer to the wall than 2 feet?

Any suggestions or references would be greatly appreciated!

I humbly await the responses of my fellow engineers. Thanks for your time and help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the garage floor a concrete slab? If so you can distribute the load over a larger area and reduce the surcharge. I would use a 2:1 slope to distribute the load thru the slab.

In terms of distance from the wall, Das has a good section in his text that deals with either a line load at a known distance from a wall, or a area load at a known distance from a wall.

I believe you are asking how the wheel load will distribute in the soil and inturn create lateral load on the wall. I think you should get your answer in any of geotechnical engineering book. But the best reference would be "geotechnical engineering" by Braja M. Das. Look under "insitu stresses".

Wouldn't this depend on the type of garage slab you have? If the slab is like mine in my home, with a grade beam and turned down rebar tied into the basement (retaining) wall, I could technially remove all the dirt under this slab and it would still support the weight of my vehicles. In this case, the surcharge from the garage wheel would be zero.

I talked to the super when they were building my home, and asked why a self supporting slab. The answer is the expense of compacting the soil to 95% and time involved is more than just reinforcing the slab. A little overkill, but you get what you pay for.

I agree with DarthSoilGuy. Pick an appropriate psf from somewhere and use that.

For a retaining wall like this I would use minimum 100 psf surcharge.

There are many lateral pressure formulas for point-loads/line-loads/ramp-loads at various distance from retaining walls but it's a bit complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back