Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wheelbase to Track Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My daily driver has a wheelbase to track width ratio which is below the bottom of that scale (just over 1.4) and it's a car for which about 1.4 million have been built over two generations, the third generation has just started, and that third generation has that ratio even smaller thanks to a wider track width than mine ...

I can think of a few other cars that have also been built in quantities of millions and with that ratio near 1.5 (namely, the original Fiat 500 and its successor, Fiat 126, and I'm sure there are others), so I question the completeness of that chart.

But in general ... given the typical dimensions of your normal average family car, it's not surprising that the majority are clustered near 1.7 to 1.9.

I wouldn't take that as being an "optimum" for handling or ride quality or any such thing, it's just that if you sit two (or three) people side by side you're going to end up with a vehicle in a certain width range, and if you sit two rows of people one behind the other and put a set of wheels in front of them and a set behind, you're going to end up with a vehicle having a certain wheelbase range. It's just how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back