Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When are sidewalks warranted? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadwork

Civil/Environmental
Jan 9, 2007
US
I'm sure this is a simple question, but I just moved into the design/traffic engineering world after years in construction project management. Can someone tell me where I can find information on how to decide when a sidewalk is warranted on a secondary road?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm working on a DoD installation, and I am the road engineer, so it's my decision. In my opinion, I don't think a sidewalk is necessary on this one project I'm working on now, but that's my opinion. I would like to be able to point to some standard reference or procedure that supports whatever design decision is ultimately made.

NYSDOT has a fairly extensive chapter in their Highway Design Manual on the subject. They base it on development density - whether or not there are places to walk to and from. Check out the Pedestrian Generator Checklist on Page 18-6.
If you don't want to hang your hat on a state DOT document, you could contact them and ask if they based it on something else, like an AASHTO or ITE publication.

The other reason for sidewalks is safety. Depending on whch study you read, sidewalks will cut the chances of a crash involving a pedestrian walking along the road by 50% to 88% (however, most ped crashes involve people crossing the road).

If I recall correctly, the ADA doesn't apply to military facilities, but you should check to see if there is a similar DoD policy.

Here is one more resource:
"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail." - Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

"I'm searching for the questions, so my answers will make sense." - Stephen Brust

The DoD not have a rule for sidewalks? Surely you must be kidding - the DoD has regulations and manuals for EVERYTHING. They generally compile them in "Unified Facility Criteria" (UFC-xx-xxx) when it deals with infrastructure. Try the service-specific (Army, Navy, etc.) engineer group, or try the government's consolidated building website: Another source may be the military police (I guess they would be partial to having them).

See "Site Planning & Design" at the website that DMcGrath recommended
There are 18 references to sidewalks in this document (using the search feature built-in to recent versions of Adobe Reader).

ACtrafficengr mentioned that ADA laws probably don't apply to military installations, and I expect that this is correct, in a legal sense. However, DOD does promote "barrier-free" design - sidewalks do a lot to advance that concept.

[idea]

Not a very good reference, but I worked with a public works department that used a density scheme, but would generally grant exemptions unless there was an anticipation that children would walk to school. I believe developers could get around this by providing an easement for a separate walkway (between lots or to parkways).

As previously noted, the need for sidewalks is a municipal policy decision determined by a town planning ordinance. I assume they will be located in a public right-of-way and maintained by the town. If there are no sidewalks on the properties adjacent to yours, then I would not include them unless there was some overiding safety concern.

I can't find it right now, but I thought that ADAAG had some guidelines. And if anyone should follow the rules, it would be the federal government.

Perhaps it was at a conference where I heard that sidewalks aren't required if the other streets in the area don't have them either. But if this is the only one that doesn't have a sidewalk, then you should put one in. Military installations typically see a number of people walking or running, sidewalks would be a good thing if this is the case.

Density would play into it, ie no housing density means no expected pedestrains. You don't need a sidewalk on a rural county road. Do you have pedestrian counts?

You can always call the access board for assistance for their input.

Romeosperson, pedestrian counts are tricky because if there is no sidewalk, fewer people will walk there. It's kind of like forecasting vehicle traffic when there isn't a road there yet.

"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail." - Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

"I'm searching for the questions, so my answers will make sense." - Stephen Brust

Typically a policy decision. Most agencies have some long term planning document that will define the ultimate facility type and needs. Just because a connecting facility does not have them doesnt mean your project shouldn't. Use changes over time and the adjacent roadways may have been designed long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back