Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

when can I use "Architectural Component Design" (ASCE7-02 sec 9.6.2)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippo11

Structural
Mar 21, 2003
US
Where in the code does it tell me when and how I can determine if a building element is an "architectural component" and whether I can use sec 9.6.2?

I am working on a strength check of the roof of an existing 3-story concrete building that has a little wood framed gable roof on top, and I am wondering, for the roof seismc forces, if I can use eqn 9.6.1.3-1., or if I still have to use the Equivalent Lateral Force procedure (which is killing the wood roof because of the mass of the concrete levels below!)

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FOR SEISMIC: (ASCE 7-05, Chapter 12)
If you have a 3-story concrete building, with it's own roof, then you have a small one-story wood structure on top, with a wood gable roof, then you can apply Section 12.2.3.1 Exception 1 & 2.

You can also apply Section 12.2.3.1 Exceptions a-d.

If the wood gable roof is actually the roof of the 3-stories of concrete, then you use that static design procedure, and 12.10 for diaphragms, and anchor the concrete walls to the roof for 0.8*Sds*W with sub-diaphragms.

Whether or not it is a penthouse, that is relative to the size of the wood story, relative to the concrete levels below. 20%? 50%?

Best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back