Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When printing strange dots appear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazykrames

Civil/Environmental
Nov 3, 2005
US
When printing plan & profile sheets or cross section sheets I have a very small grid on the sheets made up of many lines. The lines are a light colored DOT style. The drawing looks fine and so does print preview. Once printed about 1% of the intersection of the horizontal and vertical lines will have a very dark dot, the rest will be their normal light color. Why is this happening?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could the dots from a horizontal line and a vertical "not exactly" lay on top of each other and look like a "big" dot?

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

No, the grid will not print. Your problem seems to be that your grid is made up of an ISO linetype that can be loaded when you are in the layer properties manager. Dont mix ISO linetypes with drawings having Imperial dimensions.

Could the dots from a horizontal line and a vertical "not exactly" lay on top of each other and look like a "big" dot?
------No, they are exact at the intersections, and in some
spots there are dark dots on the line where there is
not an intersection.

Try Grid Off
------No dark dots with grid off, but the grid has to be
on.

No, the grid will not print. Your problem seems to be that your grid is made up of an ISO linetype that can be loaded when you are in the layer properties manager. Dont mix ISO linetypes with drawings having Imperial dimensions.
------The grid will print. Imperial dimensions??? I don't
think we use imperial dimensions.

Make sure all layers are on and thawed. Can you select the dots? Are they construction points?
------All layers are on and thawed. That's the thing,
you cannot select the dots, they are not construction
points or nodes, there is nothing there, that I am
100% sure of. Everything looks fine on the computer
but when printing I get about 100 dark black dots
in addition to the few thousand or so light colored
dots that are suppose to be there.

Back up one. Did you say that with grid off the dots go away and do not print? But with grid on they are there and print? Grid on/off is function key F7. Please clarify.

Sorry, not the grid that CAD makes with F7, it's just a grid that I drew made of a bunch of lines with a dot linetype. The CAD grid is off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back