Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When saving creates .bk files also ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kall545

Agricultural
Oct 12, 2016
FI
Hi
When saving creates .bk files also ?
What options to uncheck so that it does not create .bk files when saving ?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Options -> System options -> Save & Backup"
I have already tried and unchecked "Save backup at each save".
- But it still sometimes when saved creates a .BK file on its own.
- Does it mean it does not make a "backup at each save" but creates still sometimes .bk files. Does the check box mean like: NEVER CREATE A .BK FILE ?

Anyone still creates extra .bk files when saving ?
part1_bk.dxf
part1_bk.log

part1.dxf
part1.log
I have the newest DraftSight 2016.

Hi KalleBoy,

I looked into your problem and at first glance seemed to have the same one.
Here's the breakdown:
You unchecked the correct box, and it should mean (when unchecked) that it will never create a .bak file.
From what i have seen, a .bak file will not be made if you remember to save the drawing before closing it.
However, i noticed that if you close the drawing without saving it (so that the "save changes to" window pops up) then draftsight will automatically create a .bak file when it saves.

Hope that helps

Mike,
My guess is that he does not want the .bak files cluttering up the drawing folder.
You can choose where to dump the autosave files, but not where to dump the backup files.
If you can set up autosave why do you need backup files?

Often enough, complex applications that generate complex files, like DS for example, just sort of 'go off to see God', and leave you scrambling to find _some_ remnant of what may be months of work that just disappeared.

If that hasn't happened to you, don't worry, it will.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Haha, that is the best explanation that I have heard yet.
Unfortunately, it has happened to me more times than I care to recollect. Which is why my autosave used to be set to every 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back