Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

When stiffener or rib plate welding, What is the reason for chamfer? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chamfer to see the weld seam.
It is not good engineering practice to weld over weld.
Best design in a radius notch (instead of a 45° chamfer) to facilitate continuous fillet (seal) welding.

Regards

Yeah it looks like the fabricator is welding the base plate to the backing plate first, so they had to notch each of the gusset plates in order to clear the fillet weld.

I don't think I've ever seen it done this way before. Normally the fillet welds aren't made until all of gusset plates have been tack-welded in place.

-Christine

To me this design is quite normal. I would think of this chamfer to allow for some drainability

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

in sanitary welding, it is advised to not weld at inner corners instead it must be radiused. Weld in this practice is usually done on flat surfaces which reduces the chances of mistakes close to nil.

Framework should Be sealed
The finished surface must be smooth and must be sealed. The body is regularly cleaned and hence the surface should be sealed in such a way that it is cleanable without much hassle.

Regards

Seriously, without relevant drawing dimensions it is impossible to tell if it is a cope intended to provide clearance around a fillet weld, or a clip intended to just clear a previously made fillet weld and to be welded out afterwards.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

@
“I SnTMan which method is correct and why?” is the (OP) question.

My post 14jun2022:
Chamfer to see the weld seam.
It is not good engineering practice to weld over weld.
Best design is a radius notch (instead of a 45° chamfer) to facilitate continuous fillet (seal) welding.

In my drawing it references AWS D18.3, here is one of the answers.

What's your help for (OP)?

Seriously, try to unsderstand,

Regards

Hi HonBi

I see two reasons for the chamfer :- to clear another fillet weld already existing or to prevent the sharp corner of the stiffener fouling the intersection point of the two plates at 90 degrees with each other during fit up. I consider it bad practice to weld over existing welds especially in the area of a stiffener because it might screen potential problems.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

@ david339933
Thank you, you have a high level of education that I would never want to come close to.
Well, I guess you can make a comment to help (OP), right?

Regards

You don't need a high level of education for common decency. You realize that you are the one who sounds arrogant?!? "Seriously try to understand" as though you are the all knowing master.

I forgot to say: I used this design (see my attached drawing) for nuclear (D2O storage tank) to perform the ultrasonic test on the full penetration weld between the shell and the ring support. The vertical stiffener without the cut with radius R interferes with UT.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back