Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When to consider a beam supporting slab 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you ask a more specific question? From your attached drawing I see a pile cap with a slab coming into it.
I cannot see a beam in this drawing.

If you are asking about how to reinforce beams, that is a very basic engineering question - perhaps ask your mentor?

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Possibly it is because English is not your first language, but we don't understand what you are asking. But one thing is apparent...there should not be a joint as shown between the beam and slab. They should be cast monolithically.

From a strength perspective alone, your beam can be considered to support the slab so long as it has enough strength to support the load transferred to it by the slab.

Because your beam is no deeper than your slab, however, you may have problems with deflection and crack control. The beam may not be stiff enough to make your slab "feel" supported until well after significant cracking and redistribution has taken place. I'd recommend:

1) a beam at least twice as deep as your slab
2) a beam at least as deep as its span divided by 20.
3) numerical verification that beam deflections are within specified limits

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Finding the beam was a little where's waldo-ish.

I like the new beam depth. Reinforcing interference shouldn't be an issue in my opinion. Make some minor tweaks to the depth and the layering until everything fits.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back