Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When to Pickle/Passivate a heat exchanger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gte682n

Chemical
Aug 12, 2016
US
Hello, I have a new reboiler that will be going into service in a few months. The tube side is AL6XN and is in oil service (pH=5), the shell side is 316L and is in Dowtherm A service.

I have heard of pickling exchangers before, but do not know when it should be applied.

Are there some guidelines to determine when this is necessary?

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I could see passivation (acid cleaning) but pickling should not be needed.
Passivation timing depends on whether or not you are passivating any of your piping also.
Do it late as possible.
If there is localized discoloration from welding this can be cleaned using a pickling paste.
I would hope though that this was built with good enough shielding during welding that this would not be needed.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Thank you. I should have chosen my words better. I meant to ask how to know IF it is necessary? Is this determined by metallurgy, fabrication method, or process? Is this something that is always done to be safe?

Thanks again,

IT depends, if the system is really clean, all high alloy then it is a very good idea.
If the system is mixed metallurgy including steel then there isn't much point as things will get rust covered anyway.
I would inspect the welds carefully to assure that there is no heat tint, and that they were not mechanically ground.
If you find either case I would recommend pickling paste.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back