Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Where are font widths set? (NX11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseda

Automotive
Oct 4, 2001
GB
We use ge_font5 and it has width options of thin, normal and thick that are set to 0.13, 0.18 and 0.25mm.

Is it possible to change these defaults somewhere as I'd like to increase them.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NX'ers
When i hide a part or feature the part on my screen automatically fits to the screen. where do i turn this off. i turned it on and now i cant find where i did that.

Thanks
Dave

Flitch , I think you posted this in the wrong thread.

Roseda, Isn't this effect you see not coupled to the old NX definition of three line widths , Thin-Medium-Thick?,
"These three names" are mapped to three physical values , such as the ones you mention. ( see final line)
This old width definition is based upon that the plotters back in time had real pens and the setting of "thin" rather was an instruction for the plotter to select a pen from a pen holder than the width of that pen. ( something like: Thin == slot 4 in pen holder ≙ 0.18 mm)
This also meant that these "Unigraphics fonts" should be able to plot using a pen, the letters cannot be filled or have varying width.
That said, I do not think that the old "Unigraphics fonts" has a width defined, it's rather the "width attribute" to select the correct pen. Thin - medium -thick.
But, since NX8 (? ) NX can have 12 ( 9+3 ? ) thicknesses defined but probably the "unigraphics fonts" are using the thin medium thick names and...
this is set up in the customer defaults,: Gateway -Line Widths- Conversion : Thin== x.xx etc etc.

Regards,
Tomas

Thanks Toost,

I tried adjusting that setting in Gateway and it had no effect on already created text but may do so on new text. The same setting is in Prefs > Object > Line Widths.

Going off the icon in the font list, I presume gefont_5 is an original NX font (I don't know why my company chose it). Other fonts don't seem any better e.g. Arial only permits two thicknesses; Regular and Bold.

ge_font5 is a "pen-plotter-type-font" which I called "Unigraphics font" in previous post.
In the NX lists of fonts, you can see a small symbol before the font name, "A" means True Type or "Open type" and the blue-red-yellow NX logo is the "Unigraphics pen plotter fonts"

How and where do you see the result of this width ?
pdf's ? Prints ?

Regards,
Tomas

Toost, I am talking about the font width when creating pdf's using the 'standard widths' option. I know they can be set to custom but we are working with Teamcenter and that, by company policy, uses the 'standard widths' option.

The problem is that using Normal and Thick widths for fonts does not create thick enough text on the pdf. I've just discovered that this is because we use 5mm text on A0 borders but we then print it on A3 for internal and external use. If there's no way to change the font width then I'll have to look at reducing our border size.

Then , knowing this, I would propose a completely different strategy....
I would rather keep these widths and change the pdf export widths.
File- Utilities - Customer Defaults - Gateway -PDF Export- Widths -Use = Custom Widths
then set a suitable width for the respective width, based on the scaling needs A0->A3.
you can set this for the site or personal settings.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back