Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I get a used LOX Tanker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

claybo

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2005
US
Does anyone know where I can get a used LO2 tanker, 4000 to 5000 gallon capacity? I would prefer one that is in need of refurbishment.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have an LO2 tanker, 3,600 gallon capacity, that is currently inactive and in need of recertification and refurbishment. I work for a contractor, not the owner of the equipment. I'll see what I can find out. Owner doesn't like to part with stuff like that.

Larry

Thanks! I work for a contractor too, but hopefully not for long. The tanker would be a prototype that will need modifications, so refurb will be necessary later. I would like to start cutting and welding early next year.

Maybe it's overdone to mention,

Make sure that when you start welding/cutting and other stuff to the tank that you purge your tank thoroughly with N2!!
Also take care that you don't destroy the vacuum insulation of the tank.

I don't now the regulations for these tanks in the States, but after making modifications, you probably need recertification (also depening if you want to use the tanker for LOX again)

Good luck
Cryotechnic

"Math is the ruler of your potential succes...."

Will definately have to inert the tanker before tearing into it, but we do have to cut into the annular space. The perlite will have to be removed. That's why I'm looking for one that's in need of refurb, so I won't feel so bad about tearing it up.

This tanker (liquid air)will end up being a testbed and may never go over the road, so I don't know yet what that will mean for certification. Any welding will be done by certified welders.

Ok Claybo, it sounds you know what your doing. :)There are many people who underestimate the dangers of oxygen, so that's why I posted.

I also don't know what it means for the certification when you don't use it on the road. I can imagine, since your using it as a stationary storage tank, that you need a license/permit from local authorities, I don't know. It also depends on the total amount of liquid air etc.

Make sure you have a good circulation in the tank. If you store the liquid air and let it stay there is a change of separation. The nitrogen will go out, what's left will be enriched air (enriched with Oxygen)

Good luck

Cryotechnic

"Math is the ruler of your potential succes...."

That's what the modifications are for. This tanker will be for bulk storage of LAir, with "zero" oxygen enrichment, and "zero" stratification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back