Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Where Did All the Civil Engineers Go? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkette

Electrical
Jul 15, 2003
US
Though I am not myself a civil engineer I work with civil engineers. I was talking to one this morning who is driving between two offices an hour apart to work on three projects! I know there are those among you who have worked on more than that at one time so please don't regale me with your own tales of tribulation. I see how hard it is on this guy.

According to this civil engineer there is a distinct shortage of civil engineers. My question is, where are the civil engineers? Why aren't college students electing CivE as a profession?

[morning]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's all about the Benjamins. In our company though, we've hired many college graduates but we are finding it hard to find the ones that have 3 and up years experience. This is a company that does Land Development here in the Bay Area, San Francisco. I like what I do and earn pretty good considering the amount of overtime I do. If your a good engineer, you will excel and get paid more like me. By the way, i reached almost 6 digits but thats with overtime. I have about 6 years experience and so there do the math....

Would be interesting to see the Salary range across different countries....

I graduated in Austrlaia and jumped onto a base salary of around 40 000 AUD (30 000 USD) but within 4 years I was on around 55 000 AUD (40 000 USD) That was with the government and a 36 hour week.....
I then moved to ireland and jumped onto a 50 000 Euro Base salary. (65 000 USD)............

But now in the 2 years I have left in austrlia you can ask for around 80-100 000 AUD (55-75 000 USD) if you have around 5 years exp......

But we all know the best way to get a pay rise is to change companies....

Any one else???

Wunderjah, I'll play;

With an MS in Civil and and EIT my first job in Salt Lake City, UT (USA) paid ~32,000 USD. My next company in Montana, 1 year experience, paid 35,000 as a "Staff Engineer", 45 hr week. With 3 to 4 yrs. experience my next company in North Carolina paid 45,000 as a "Project Manager", 50-60 hour week.

Now, California PE, "Project Engineer", 5-6 yrs total experience, 68,000 USD in San Francisco Bay Area. This is actually a pay cut due to the cost of living in the Bay Area.

Anyone else?

Jefferys

lha said:
Remember, amateurs built the ark...professionals built the Titanic. -Steve

I would like to point out that you missed a piece of the comparison.

God designed the ark.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Sparkette,

Sorry about the tangent.

I have to cast my lot with the lack of $$$ for the paucity of civils around as the primary cause.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein

I think the salary is relative to the amount they charge the worker out at. I would think when you hit the 50% mark, you can't reasonalby expect much more than that if the company is providing the umbrella of security and workload.
I was designing timber frames for a very hot market and they were billing my work out at $90CDN/hour yet they were only paying me about a 1/4 of that in wage. I decided to break out on my own and start my own design business but soon realized how much extra work was needed as a business that gets worked into that labour rate.

xantics, wunderjah & jefferys:
In PA, USA; Senior Engineer, 10 years experience, PE, USD70-75k with OT & bonuses, about 45 hrs/week.

Ashereng:
I have editted my signature accordingly.

looksatstars & francesca:
Here in PA, USA:
At my current job, the multiplier is 3.33.
At my last job, it was 4.
At my previous job, it was 3.5.

Remember, amateurs designed and built the ark...professionals designed and built the Titanic. - Steve

lha,

LOL. I see. God is now an amateur. Hmmm.... [ponder]

Albert Einstein

Ashereng,

if you follow your line of thought too far then it would seem that God was ultimately responsible for the design of both the Titanic and the Ark. Let's assume that He/She does not take detailed involvement in any shipbuilding decisions, be it large steel cruise liners or wooden two-by-two class animal transporting vessels.

In Canada it seems that 2.6x salary has been the norm (at least from 1975 to 1995 when I left). I know the States use higher values and always wondered why the Canadian Engineers just didn't eat them alive in getting work in the US when you considered the lower mark-up and the major difference in the exchange rate).

My experience in Colorado is that the multiplier ranges from 4.0-2.5 depending mostly on how many people you are responsible for, and less on performance.

So if we all agree that our salaries are limited by some multiplier, than the problem must lie in the market value for our services. If we are all as busy as we seem to be because of the shortage, why aren't we raising our fees? Something to ask your firm leaders.

Hasn't produced any results at my firm, better luck to you.

I am currently a Graduate Student in Civil Engineering with a focus in water resources. I go to Texas A&M University and plan on working for a large firm in Texas. I had a really good undergrad GPA and have several connections to large firms so I'm pretty sure I can get a good job.

This thread was somewhat troubling to read as a future EIT in a year. With my degree and qualifications I expect I'll start out somewhere in the 45-60k range (thats where my friends with similar credentials are starting).

I am more concerned about the earning potential in civil engineering. I was hoping some of the more seasoned civil engineers could give me a picture.

I plan on going back and getting my MBA in a few years and going into project management. If I did this, at a large firm in Texas (100+ employees), how much could I expect to be earning in 10-15 years? Can anyone give me a ballpark? I guess, where would the ceiling be?

ram9339,

If you are worried about making a lot of money, I would suggest something other than engineering.

Having said that, one can make a lot of money doing just about anything. If you are amongst the best in your craft, the money will be there.

Albert Einstein

Exactly HgTX. Something is dreadfully wrong when people in a profession that starts - with no experience, just a degree - at USD30k, then quickly moves into and above the USD60k range - with a decade or less experience - are convinced that people are avoiding that profession due to LACK OF MONEY.

How much money would be enough for us to consider engineers "well-paid"? Is USD80k sufficiently well-paid? USD100k? USD200k? It just doesn't make sense.

When you compare the amount of schooling, licensure and work hours required of teachers, social workers, nurses, soldiers, police officers, engineers, etc., to their respective salaries, I feel we are pretty well-off.

Women and cats will do as they please; men and dogs should just learn to live with that - Steve

If I could own a Starbucks in the ground floor of a 50 story commercial tower, full of lawyers, here in town, I'd retire from engineering.

The store is always packed, from at least 6AM to 6PM. At $4 a pop for a grande something or another, it's a "black gold" mine worthy of taking over that moniker from crude oil! [licklips]

Albert Einstein

Well I am an EIT with 3 years experience. Working in a small town in TEXAS making $13.00/hr. My pay has alot to do with the size of the company (2PEs, 2Drafters, 2 EITs 1 tech, 1 receptionist), and the small customer base. My boss pays himself around $60K/year, but I do believe that he is investing the companies money in other developments. I pitched a fit, for a raise from $12/hr and no OT(from 8-2004 to 12-2005)to my current salary with a bit more OT. My 2005 income was a whopping $25,000. My expertise is Water Resources/Environmental which has allowed the boss to add "environmental" to the company's Logo.

See if the DOT is hiring water resources people in your area. They pay a hell of a lot more than that.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back