Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where did NX4 hide the surface extend? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the tip. In insert-trim, there is only Trim Body and Trim Sheet. These operate like the traditional trim body and trim sheet that has been in UG for ages. It will not extend the surface. Why do they have to "break" or hide functions that have been useful for ages?

Do you have the correct Role enabled so that you're seeing ALL the toolbars and menus? If you don't, some commands may be hidden. Use one of the Advanced roles provided then customize from there and save it. I believe you will be able to use that same role for NX5...if not, then when you migrate to NX5, just remember to pick an advanced role and do the same thing you did for NX4 above.

There is more than one command that will extend a sheet body. One is Iso Trim/Extend found on the Edit Surface toolbar and you can turn on Associative Freeform Editing to make this into a Feature that can be edited. Another is simply Extend, which makes an associative copy of the surface and extends the copy rather than the original. I believe Extend was originally on the Free Form (now called Surface) toolbar but has since been moved to the Edit Surface toolbar with Iso Trim/Extend....not 100% sure that's where it used to be though. Finally, there is Trim and Extend, which is more of a Trim/Extend and Sew operation that can be done individually or rolled all into one, which is found on the Surface toolbar.

If you're going to be Trimming the extended surface later, try using Trim and Extend to see if it gives you results that are usable...this eliminates the problem of 2 surfaces not completely intersecting each other enough for both of them to Trim....really nice.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

OK, if I would have woke up before I asked a stupid question, I would have turned on the edit sheet toolbar and just click the trim sheet button. I can not find the command in the menu but I found it in the toolbar. Thanks for humoring me while I slept at the wheel.

Bart

Bart,

Try changing to an advanced Role, like I mentioned previously. Roles WILL hide some commands in the pulldown. There also might be one of those hide infrequently used commands, but I cannot remember if NX adopted that or not.

Sounds to me like you need to get your interface sorted out for what you frequently use. Doesn't take long to do if you're familiar with it.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Just a comment about using functions like trim and extend. Please experiment for yourself and check the differences between the results that you get using enlarge sheet, or isometric trim as opposed to trim and extend or change edge. What each does to the shape of an extended piece of freeform surface differs, sometimes quite a bit. Each has it's relative merits and I'd be glad to hear of improvements made in later upcoming versions of UG.

If you have two or three slabs of freeform surface side by side and meeting at the edges with some degree of continuity it does not always follow that you can readily extend the free edges while maintaining that edge to edge condition between the slabs. Trim and extend makes an attempt that works on some surfaces better than others. You need to check it carefully.

This probably doesn't apply to all uses of UG and may not have been the originator's intent. I do however pick up a few models on occasion that have been worked on by users who find trim and extend all too easy and don't comprehend why I'm unhappy with their work when I find nasty face to face intersections or self intersecting geometry.

Regards

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back