Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where have the drafting classes gone? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemarEngr

Mechanical
May 15, 2003
US
Another thread got me thinking about this.

Where have all the drafting classes gone to?
They are plenty of classes out there where you can learn how to use AutoCAD, but I have noticed that it's almost impossible to find a drafting class short of community college.

I would figure there would be a huge need for this.
Drafting principals seem to be a dying art. Especially simple orthographic drawings.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cscheide,

Give them exposure to a wide variety of problems and their drawing solutions. In high school, there are a wide range of possible fields they may encounter in later life.

From personal experience, the most valuable drawing practise I learned was how to create projected views (show the true side view of a pipe intersection). I use the techniques weekly, sometimes daily.

Other problems I can recall being given in drawing class, that showed immediate practical application included: given strike, bearing, and dip of one shaft, and strike and bearing of second shaft, find the dip of second shaft if it is to intersect the first. Always did want to be a gold miner...

Have them create topographic maps from "surveyor's notes".

Draw and dimension a shaft with an O-ring groove, and make them pick the "right" ring size, and appropriate dimension callouts (diamter, width of groove) from the Parker O-ring Handbook. You should be able to contact Parker and have them send you several copies for teaching aids.

I don't know how companies are going in the US but in Australia its hard to even find school graduates that even want to be drafties.

They have cut the classes back here so hard simply because know body wants to do it any more.

Diplomacy Has Failed Time For Some Action

Wow! This reflective post was so enjoyable to read, I simply had to chime in myself. I started hand drawing before CAD was around. In fact, it was an elective class in middle school and high school when I was a kid. I took it every chance I could.

There's no question that CAD is much faster than the old days of manual. However, it has been my experience that the basic art of drafting is almost lost in this day and age. I can tell a huge difference between drawings done on CAD by someone who never drew by hand compared with those who have. Like someone said earlier, it's all about communicating your ideas. I have had to explain such simple concepts as what "perpendicular" means to some drafters. Regardless of the methods you use (and standards) they don't amount to much if the aesthetics are not there. When you submit plans to someone who recognizes the visual quality, it all boils down to less comments and questions during the review process, ergo, communicating your ideas well, and leaving very little question as to what your intents are.

I sometimes still like to sit down and do some of my own work by hand. If nothing else, it is therapeutic for me. It truly has become a lost art form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back