Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Where/how to get appropriate orc expander

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulb light

Electrical
May 5, 2024
GB
I am looking for cheap orc expander. My working fluid is R600 with inlet temperature 180 degreeC. I saw many papers using compressor as expander. My engine is having around 500kW thermal jacket water.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Diesel or gas engine is 500kW ? If so, jacket water accounts for some 35% with reference to power output, which is about 175kW. And jacket water exit temp is 180degF, not 180degC. So you should also know how much of this 175kW is converted to electric power by ORC - have you done calcs or process simulations on this ?

Sorry george, i didnt make myself clear. The jacket water only act as economiser(preheat) and there are another evaporator which superheat the R600 to saturated gas. Does anyone know which expander may be feasible for my system?

Okay. Google shows up a few choices when you type in orc expander?
If you are planning to go for a positive displacement type expander, feed gas will most likely have to be sufficiently superheated so you dont have 2 phase conditions at the expander exit. Conversely, you may be low limited to some higher exit pressure for a given superheat in the feedgas. Centrifugal type expanders are tolerant to some extent, to liquid in the expander stream for the larger units, so you can drop the exit pressure more than you can with cheaper positive displacement type units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back