Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where in 14.5 is...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew2323

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2007
US
Where in 14.5 does it state that we don't need to show the length in both the left and right views; that we assume it's the same unless otherwise noted?

In the attached image, I've shown both sides because one side needs to be masked and the other does not.

Just like we assume two edges are 90deg if it looks like it, don't we also assume the sides are the same unless otherwise specified?

I'd never seen or heard a complaint about this in 20+ years in the industry so I'm perplexed at the comment I received but also not certain how to argue my case from 14.5.

Thanks!
Matthew

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1a7d492c-6d85-441d-bf93-92a6945b727f&file=DWG_01.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just so others don't have to download it.
DWG_01_q6zhlf.jpg

Are you specifically talking about the 3 mm wide unmasked dimension on the sides? Or the multiple reference dimensions which are clearly useless and don't help at all?

Thanks for adding the image (didn't know how to do that)

The 2.89" on the left (green box). He thinks it should also be on the right (green arrows). Looking for documentation in 14.5 that says it's okay as-is.

Ironically, he didn't like the "2X .3" either saying it's "unclear" and I should put one dimension on each flange.

He did not complain about my superfluous REF dims tho. ;-)

The 2.89 dim does apply at two locations and should be dimensioned as such.
I'm a little skeptical about the claimed ambiguity regarding the "2X .3" dimension though.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

If there is a note somewhere that untoleranced dimensions are basic, you don't need the 2X indication because of a Fundamental Rule that states:
"A zero basic dimension shall apply where axes, center planes, or surfaces are shown coincident on orthographic views and geometric tolerances establish the relationship between the features."
However, if there is a general plus-minus tolerance note that applies to the untoleranced dimensions, you have to indicate that the requirement applies in two places, and in that case he is correct.

Matthew, if the part is symmetric then you should add a center line to help understanding. In that case 2x .3 is not "unclear" anymore.

Concerning reference dimensions, I rarely use them, but in some cases when I make some cylindrical parts, and the entire length is not important, I usually give the total length in parentheses just so the buyer/machinist can calculate raw material size.
In your case I think reference dimensions don't give any plus info.

Regarding the image, next time use this ([wink])
Annotation_2023-04-27_083637_kromo2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back