Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where should i put the weld to the top of the pipe or to the bottom? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcasper

Mechanical
May 1, 2012
TT

I need to join a 19feet 8" pipe to another piece of 8"pipe. The pipe is to be vertical with at least 15ft in the water.
It is being used for geotechnical survey.
I am only getting 19ft lengths and i need a total length of 23ft.

The pole would be subjected to drag force due to water. The lower horizontal snub would form a pivot.

Should i weld the pipes together at the top A above the water or below the water at B. Please see attached image.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank You for your quick response.

Why are we putting it at A as opposed to B? This is my trend of thought, the pole would be subjected to a bending moment about the fulcrum/pivot.
By putting the weld close to the bottom, am I minimizing the chance that the pole would break at this point?

Good point.

The pole would be in the water for roughly 6 weeks and would be painted, so corrosion should be minimal

With respect to the bending loads, won't it be subjected at more bending load at A rather than at B?

That shouldn't matter: a full-pen weld, well executed, is at least as strong as the base material. Assuming normal steel, the weld won't form a "weak spot" (HAZ with reduced properties) in the pole nor a (much) higher risk of fatigue cracking.

Might not matter much but you could pre-fab the top part before joining to the lower. Might make for a little easier handling.

Regards,

Mike

You might find it a mite tricky welding the pipe underwater.

Sorry, I couldn't resist poking this one with a sharp stick.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back