Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Where to add Inlet Fogging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedops

Industrial
Jul 29, 2005
US
I am currently investigating wheather an addition of an inlet fogging system to a LM5000 would be beneficial when a chiller coil is already in place. Currently the Chiller coil does not provide adequate inlet cooling on extremely hot days.
If indeed it would be beneficial to add an inlet fogging system, where would be the most ideal location? Prior to the Chiller Coil or downstream of the coil?

Thanks for any replies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I might change my mind, but I would do it downstream of the chiller coil. No water is perfect and water is really nasty stuff. Therefore any dissolved impurities in your water will eventually end up on your chiller coil only further impeding its ability to function.

Plus, your chiller, if it is working at all, will dehumidify the air so you would be adding work load to the chiller evaporator with the addition of the fogging upstream. The chiller would not only be trying to chill the incoming air, it would now have to chill the mass flow of the fog water.

So... adding it after won't add load to your chiller and if your chiller is performing poorly enough that the air discharging from the chiller is a candidate for fogging, that would be where I would do it.

I would have to do some more thinking and some calculations before I would pass judgement on the efficacy of adding fogging to a chilled air inlet system.

rmw

I agree with RMW. If you inject the air upstream of your coils, your coils will then be cooling the air PLUS the water.

Contact Mee Fog or Braden and they will likely have you install the foggers downstream of your inlet filters. But be sure your inlet duct lining is stainless steel.

You may need to modify your inlet duct and filters in order to get the foggers after the chiller and still get everything spaced properly.
And don't get me started on water quality. The guidelines from the fogging companies should be taken as absolute minimums. Better is good.
This may allow you to fix some existing intake issue and help overall performance.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back