Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to Find Factory Specification Drawings?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjb84

Automotive
Dec 29, 2007
US
Hi All,

I've been doing some research and have not been able to find out any info on this yet. Basically, I am trying to figure out how to get the factory specification drawings for various parts of motorcycles. I need technical drawings that have dimensions, angles etc. that could be used to actually build the part.

I am a cad designer/modeler and I am playing with some ideas for aftermarket parts and I want to figure out how to produce a part that has the same dimensions as an OEM part so it will obviously work and fit correctly.

Can anyone help me out on this?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One traditional way to do this is to measure a sample of the part you intend to replace, and make your own drawing, guessing at the tolerances based on the application, and guessing at the basic dimensions based on the module.

Another traditional way is to social engineer an actual factory drawing. If a particular manufacturer is trying to nurture an aftermarket, this may be as simple as just asking.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Hello. I had just come acrossed this thread, I was just wondering if you had found someone or a place to purchase these? I am also looking for the drawings but for I different reason. Please let me know Thank you! h_mineau@yahoo.com

I have sent out a few emails to a few people that may be able to help me find the answer. I am expecting to hear back from them tomorrow.
I also looked through some manufacturer's websites looking for a person that may know where I can get the answer to this. All of the contacts I have found do not have any emails, only phone numbers. I'll be making some calls tomorrow and through the week if need be until I get the answer. I'll post up in this thread when I find out.

While I am waiting and still looking...does anyone know what department or what kind of person I should be contacting at these manufacturers?

The people who are authorized and equipped to dispense technical information typically work in a department called Product Support or some such. They normally talk only to distributors, sometimes dealers, and only if they are having a good day and feeling charitable, civilians.

Most of them are more helpful on the telephone than by email, because email leaves a permanent record, and the telephone usually does not. Remember, they are not supposed to be talking to you at all, so be extra polite. Don't insult their intelligence with some phony story, and don't waste their time by taking forever to get to the point.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I sometimes buy my parts on Ebay and have to identify what is what before I do. I use the Ron Ayers website, which has all the parts of many motorcycles, in 3-d diagrams. It covers my Kaw Vulcan 750, and the diagrams are entirely broken down. Cannot say if it has the detail you need, though. It might be a starting place.

An organization like SEMA has those materials available to their members.

SW2008 Office Pro SP3.1
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2.2GHz, 2.00GB RAM
QuadroFX 3700
SpacePilot/SpaceNavigator

Very few, if any, manufacturers will release part drawings to anyone but approved vendors with confidentiality agreements in place. Otherwise, all the pirates and chinese companies would just produce knock-off parts easily.

Think about it - if you designed something and were selling it, would you send somebody the drawing for free???

You stand a better chance of reverse engineering the parts you need from existing items.

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. -- Douglas Adams

Thats how aftermarket business are formed. The Yamaha group in Cyprice CA does aftermarket design for it's own Yamaha products. The only difference is that they get the tolerances drawings and you don't. They are not interested in competing.

The Engineers in japan use a home grown software for developing geometry while the engineers at Yamaha USA use Pro/ENGINEER .... they do have to deal with imports tho wich levels the playing field some.

You best bet is to measure and guess on tolerances. Take a six sigma class. ;)

Bart Brejcha Chicago
DESIGN-ENGINE|EDUCATION
surfacing and Pro/CABLE training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back