Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to find the complete geometry details of steel shapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingcow1999a

Structural
Jul 29, 2010
US
For example, a Channel steel shape: where I can find all geometric parameters defining the inner C of the C shape cross section, curves (radius) at the flange toe and web toe, slope of the flanges at the top and bottom inner C, etc.

The AISC SCM gives basic parameters about section geometry and sectional properties but does not give all the geometry details.

Googled online and found something like this:
But did not find the needed info for US ASIC SCM shapes.

Thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actually, that's a good question. I went out to the stairwell of my office once to measure the channel stair stringers for just this reason.
I usually just fake it based on the info given.

Off the top of my head, some of that information is provided along with the mill tolerances in the ASTM A6 specification.

But agreed with Buggar, usually I just fake (or approximate, if you prefer) it based on what is known.

Thanks to all for your input. ASTM A6 and the article flight7 provides both give useful information about my question.
ASTM A6/A6M Section gives "tolerances define the acceptable limits of variation from theoretical dimension for the cross-sectional area, flatness, straightness, camber and sweep for rolled sections."

Article "Changes to T, k and k1 Dimensions for W-Shapes" says "Steel producers determine the size of the fillet radius used between the web and flange of W shapes based upon individual mill rolling and straightening practices. These practices and the fillet radii chosen depend upon the equipment used in the various mills,among other parameters. Since equipment and practices vary between mills, the radii also vary as recognized in ASTM A6/A6M paragraph 13.3.1, which states that “radii of fillets and toes of shape profiles vary with individual manufacturers and therefore are not specified.”

For W shape, it is reasonable and acceptable that "radii of fillets and toes of shape profiles vary with individual manufacturers and therefore are not specified.” once k, k1 and T are given coz varied radii of fillets and toes of W would not change the shape significantly.

For C shape, however, there is no T dimension as W shape does, R1 and R2 are dependent and correlated though the slope of the top and bottom lines of the inner C. The shapes by different producer would have significant difference if R1 and R2 "vary with individual manufacturers and therefore are not specified". So, where are the theoretical/guiding values for the camber and sweep for C, etc.?

Thanks for your attention.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=be3c00e6-0051-41b7-843d-b2c25d301d72&file=C.jpg
Why do you want to "pollute" (crowd up and complicate) your drawings and calculations with such details?

Your time is more valuable than checking more important features of the steel joints and weld copes and weld designs. In the shop of field, they will be cut, sawed, or burned; not CAD-CAM machined to near 1/100 inch accuracy following a curved cope of another beam. Satellites or rocket fuel tanks only 2 millimeters thick - where ounces matter? Sure. That's why NASA can't build cheap and economical buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back