Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to get a small/micro 3-phase AC synchronous generator? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPetersen

Electrical
May 20, 2004
DK
Hello,

For test and educational purpose I need a small 3-phase AC synchronous generator.
The generator shall have rotor windings with slip rings/brushes for excitation control.

Exact size does not matter, could be a few hundred watts or less.

Have any seen such a kit around or perhaps a description how to rebuild e.g. a small RC-motor?

Kind regards
J Petersen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not the smallest cheapest vehicle alternator? They're all 3 phase and can put out up to about 50V of 120 degree phased voltage. They have slip rings and a field to be controlled. They're also bulletproof. You can get the older classic Chevy ones that required external excitation. Newer ones all have internal regulators.

They range from about 25A to 200A (full outputs).

Keith Cress
kcress -

Hi, thanks for that advice. I was not aware that automotive generators are 3ph with sliprings. I will look for a generator for a motorcycle to get as small as possible.

Many motorcycle alternators are permanent magnet types. The voltage is controlled by wasting the excess output.
Motorcycle kit may be more expensive also.
I'm betting that you will end up with Keith's original suggestion of an automotive type.
If you do go with a motorcycle type, make sure that it has slip rings before you put down the money.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Yes, a quick research also showed me that generators for motorcycles often have PM'sm.

I am going to drive the generator by a DC motor. My intention is to try to derive all the typical data sheet parameters available for much larger power generators.
This includes both steady state parameters as well as dynamic parameters.
Also no-load an short circuit curves are to be derived.

Kind regards

I have a similar set-up in my "garage". A Siemens PM DC motor at around 3 kW with taper-lock pulleys so I can couple it to any machine. I use it mostly to test extreme situations and regeneration with PWM inverters. Well worth the effort. You learn a lot.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

If somebody has a suggestion where to find a generator somewhat smaller/less heavy than the automobile generator, I will still appreciate a hint. The size and power of the typical automobile generator is on the edge of what my "lab" can handle.

Kind regards

In the automotive world generators are DC devices distinct from alternators with rectifiers, which is what you are looking for. Alternators for small cars are pretty small as they don't have much space either.

Hampden Engineering makes small machines used for training.

I've used
product-details.php
as both a motor and a generator. I have no idea as to cost. I used to instruct at a facility that had a complete bench full of simulation equipment from Hampden Engineering.

old field guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back