Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where to get this chuck from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopen

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2003
EG
Hi,

I am trying to attach a square bar about 2 m long to a face plate at the root " fixed support". I need to reduce the deflection of this bar as much as i can as there is a distributed force applied close to the free end of the bar. I thought that using 4 jaw chuck would solve this issue, also i thought that the jaws should be long enough say 10 cm long to accommodate the bar root inside tightly. Also i need this chuck to be mounted in a rotary table to be able to change the angle of the bar. So i come up with the device in the attached photo. My question is:

Is there a similar piece that has 4 jaws instead of 3 and the jaws length is around 10 cm or closer and can accommodate 2 cm bar to 0.5 cm bar side length?

I appreciate your help

mopen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey folks,

I attached the drawings of the assembly and the separate items.The forces are applied to the wing at the tip of the bar and concentrated at the mid-span of the wing. The maximum force should be about 50 N.

Timelord

Can you explain your point more? But can i use simple fixation instead of the chunk for this case? The rotary table should not exceed a diameter of 9 cm.

Thanks all

mopen

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8184d992-53c1-45f8-b073-3096e9b611d8&file=adabting_piece_of_the_rotary_stage_to_a_face_plate.JPG
No, the chuck I got was (is) a scroll chuck, but the four jaws are also individually adjustable so you can easily set up for repeat work on irregular pieces.I didn't explain myself well before, but it's probably not applicable here anyway.

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

I have not seen a rotary table smaller than 6" in my entire career. Have you located one? The collet attachment shown in the link just bolts to the face of a 6" rotary table using the T slots in it. I see a centering attachment is included. Blank collets are available and a machine shop can cut the rectangular hole with a sinker or maybe a wire EDM.

Timelord

Off topic but creepy,
The Amazon site I linked to show the 4 jaw self centering chuck, is now popping up at other places I visit.
Very annoying.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Timelord
A small rotary table is here
I think using rotary table is going to be heavy for my setup. So i am thinking to use rotary stage which is used for optical instruments mounting, even though it is not strong enough to carry appreciable load. The idea of collet fixation is good but the problem is that it is heavy and the size is big. So i thought that using a base clamp with adapting sleeves inserts would be better, something like what is shown here:

does anybody knows how to get this from in Canada or at least North America?

mopen

Timelord

Thanks for your interest.I found the base clamp on the first website and i contacted them to ask about slitted adapting square holed sleeves inserts, but they do not have.

i found a clamp like the following should be reasonable even i wish it has longer collar:

any idea about a company in north america that sell sleeves like the following:

or a company that sells both the clamp and the sleeves would be better!

mopen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back