Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Where would you like to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knoxij

Electrical
Jun 9, 2005
US
If you had nothing tying you down and could move anywhere in the United States to work, where do you think you would like to live/work?

I've seen some lists of the "Top 10 Places to Live in America" and things of that nature, but I wanted to see some opinions from people actually living in various areas across the country/world.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Once while I was on vacation with the family, I found my dream job. Here it is ....

Working each day on the beach (East or West coast), handing out towels and making sure the cabana chairs and umbrellas are all out and ready for use. The person that I saw having this job would show up promptly at 8 AM with coffee in tow and a paper every day. After spending about 15 minutes setting up, he sat in a cool tent and made sure the beach customers were set. My gosh, talk about the scenery day in and day out in handing out towels. This guy was in his 50's, tanned, had no stress from work and enjoyed BS'ing with the hotel guests each day. He was done by 3 PM.

I currently live & work 1 hour outside New York City. I like my current location during the week but would love to have a small modern apartment in the City that I could crash at when I go out on the weekends.

I really like Bend, Oregon it reminds my of Lake Tahoe without all the people. I also like Gold Beach, Oregon because it reminds me of Santa Cruz again without the over population. But I guess Sacramento will do for now until it gets smoggy like L.A.

My first thought is I would choose Marin County, CA. Most likely Sausalito. The climate is moderate, not too hot in summer and not too cold in winter and as I also like the vibrant atmosphere of a big city when I feel like it, San Francisco is just across the bridge.

In my travels, I have seen many beautiful areas…..West Virginia, Tennessee, Colorado just to name a few but I think Marin would win out.

I would live only in San Francisco. Nothing can compete to this. Yes, it is expensive, but the life surrounded by SF beauty and spirit worth everything.

I'd love to be a garbage man in St. Thomas or St. John of the US Virgin Islands. Work would be completed by 10am (maybe), then I could get in 3-4 dives a day.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Haggis,

Just saw your post (while I was wasting valuable company time and not doing my job).

Sausalito is nice but really crowded with busloads of tourists in summer. That's probably the major complaint I hear from prople who live there. If you like it cool, it's the place to be. It can be 20-25 degrees (Fahrenheit) cooler than central Marin (Novato or San Rafael.)

And if you lived there, you could watch me dance tonight at the San Rafael Farmer's Market! and on July 23rd, at the Scottish Rite Temple in Oakland.

I went home at lunch to put on my performance make-up for tonight because I have only 20 minutes to run home at the end of the day to change into costume....been taking grief all afternoon at the office.

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

Casseopeia,

I would have to agree with you on that one......the SF bay area and north bay is loaded with tourists in the summer months. I'd much rather live in Piedmont and work in Berkeley.

I really enjoyed living in the Chicago area. None of those nasty hurricane things and close enough to a big lake to prevent the tornados too. It's also a great and exciting city. The only real downside for me was the lack of any kind of hills or other land relief.

Just about any of the Hawaiian Islands come to mind. Though I have to admit my current location is not too bad. Lake Michigan close by, 4 true seasons (though winter can get a bit long), and the ability to escape to the wilds is nice.

Regards,

I grew up in Albuquerque NM. That was a wonderful place to live. Excellent climate, beautiful scenery I really wish I could move back.

Berlin is a great place, but a little harsh in the winter. Knoxij did say US, but if we're expanding to the rest of the world:

Barcelona Spain, Cassis France, Brisbane Australia, and Perth Australia, all places that when I left I thought, wow that would be a great place to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back