Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Whether insulation (Hot, Cold, Personnel) is applicable for FRP Tank & Tower

evelynstpl

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2024
ID
We have a proposal for an FRP tank of which is required to store Brine content at 74.9°C. We need to provide insulation for the tank , PP insulation is generally applied for operating temperature ≥ 65°C. .. The tank dimension is ID8900 x 2500TL/TL. I am wondering whether insulation is applicable for FRP equipment?
Please info, the personnel protection insulation does not require the whole tank insulation.
Please share how do we apply the PP insulation on tank (whether whole or partial) and the example of partial insulated tank since I have concerns about the insulation installation, and have no experience with FRP equipment

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not hot ins.? - you dont want to lose this heat. Use mineral wool for hot insulation, and work out what an economics based thickness should be for this service which will depend on the cost of makeup heat ($/MJ) and the cost of fully installed insulation per m2.

Do the calculation for the thickness of your FRP tank and the heat loss from convection. You might have enough "insulation" from the FRP to get below your max personnel temp which is usually about 60C?

What exactly is "PP insulation"? Usually you use either soft insulation like mineral wool or hard insulation like PU Foam or foam glas.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

What I refer to PP insulation is Personal Protection. Based on your response, I think i will use Personal Protection. The insulation will be provided on the area where near the people access, for example the shell area connected with spiral stair way. However, need more evaluation for the the heat transfer to the outer equipment surface.

Thankyou all for your feedback and insight![bigsmile]

If this tank is outdoors and it is raining, open cage mesh type PP ins may not be suitable - tank walls will go cold, heat loss will be much higher, and brine will salt out, and may even block inlet, exit nozzles and other instrumentation nozzles.

Back