Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Which 3-D Cad Software is Best? 39

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGP

Mechanical
Nov 24, 1999
US
We are a packaging machine builder and are currently using AutoCad 14 (2D). We would like to move into a 3D software package and are looking at either "SolidWorks" or
"SolidEdge". However we have heard rumors that "SolidWorks" has problems with large part assemblies. Could this be a software issue or a hardware issue.
I would greaty appreciate any responses from software users who are familiar with both softwares. And why they would choose one over the other.

Thank You.....DGP [sig][/sig]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been a Solid Edge user for 8 years now and have seen many enhancements to this program over the years. The next version has extensive enhancements in the area of surfacing, which will rival Pro-E. I have also used SolidWorks and Pro-E. Solid Edge has a workflow that will makes it easy to use and have you up an running within a very short period of time (maybe a couple of weeks). The single most important feature of Solid Edge is their support. Unlike other CAD companies who rely on their resellers to provide support to you, Solid Edge provides an 800 number which puts you in touch with their head office where they will assist you until your qestion is answered (I've never been on hold for more than five minutes. Usually, they answer right away.) They will walk you through what's required to achieve what you want or have you e-mail it to them so you can both be looking at the same thing while discussing the problem. Try that with Solidworks (if they return your call within 48 hours). As far as Pro-E goes, by the time you figure out all of the dialog boxes and get good at it, you'll have already designed your entire product in Solid Edge.

Anyone who uses any 3D software will tell you the more you use it, the better you get. Knowing how to start a project and having a lot of it worked out in your head before you start makes a big difference. (and the smallest component or fastener always screws you up in the end). Have local reseller give you a demo....good luck!

Okay, it is two years later, we are still using Cadkey, and we are still trying to make a decision on whether or not to switch to SolidWorks or SoliEdge. To make matters worse, I spoke with someone that had an Autodesk Inventor demo the other day, and he said it was great. Anybody out there switching from Cadkey? If so, what are you going to?

I am a great fan of SolidWorks. It is a great product, and SW is a great company to do business, especially after enduring PTC purgatory.

However, after observing SolidWorks, SolidEdge, and Inventor, I came to the conclusion that "it's the pilots, not the planes" that matter. All are about equally capable in the hands of a capable user.

[bat]If the ladies don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.[bat]

I have tried Autocad with Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, ProE and SolidEdge and voted for the last. SolidEdge is very easy to use without reading the manual. Even complicated parts like pistol-receivers can be built up in a few hours. The tools You need are always in reach and you can concentrate on Your work instead of program handling.

Andreas Nehme
mail@waffentechnik.com

I have (and still are) heavily doing research into these programs. I evaluated Pro/E, Inventor, and Solid Edge back in 2000 and chose Inventor. Some of the decision was based on my familiarity with AutoCAD. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME ASSUMPTION. Inventor and AutoCAD are like oil and water. I can and have imported files more cleanly to and fro Mech Desktop from other programs than Inventor.
Inventor is decent for simple things, but if you want or need true 3D (3D spline, surfacing, etc) leave it alone. It does come bundled with AutoCAD and MDT.
SolidEdge seems to have the most robust features for a mid-range package and is based onthe more proven Parasolid kernel (unlike Inventor).
SolidWorks, however, seems to have the complete 3D package. It is almost as functional and capable as SolidEdge, and the Office package comes with a simple FEA program and photo rendering. By far, more people use SolidWorks than any other.
Pro/E Wildfire is highly capable, but clearly PTC makes the majority of their profit on training. The program is nowhere near as easy to use as the above 3. Plus, it is heavily modularized. If you have advanced surfacing, you must pay for it (over and above the higher price).
If you need easy modeling, there are a host of programs like Alibre and such that do 70% of what SE, SW and IV do. For those of us that need the other 30%, those programs can't cut it. I've tried.

TheTick,

You said on 21 October 2003: "...and there is always a better alternative to using PTC products."

I am curious as to what your feelings are regarding a competitive alternative to the Behavioral Modeling Extension (BMX) ( functionality available in Pro/ENGINEER. I know of no other program that has this type of functionality. It is this feature that, for me, propels Pro/ENGINEER into an engineering tool rather than simply a solid modeling tool.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"Luck is the residue of design."
Branch Rickey

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

MLoew:
re:"I know of no other program that has this type of functionality."

Which programs?

Dollar for dollar, PTC is an easy non-choice. If you need mid-range capability, there are plenty of other choices. If you need high range capability, Pro/E really pales next to UG and CATIA.

The bottom line with PTC is the bottom line, most notably the way theirs goes up while nickel-and-diming yours. PTC likes to bundle everything in such a way as to compel you to buy things you don't need in order to get the things you do need, from a sales force resembling a school of hungry pirhana. Marketing by Machiavelli and design by de Sade.

[bat]If the ladies don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.[bat]

TheTick,

I am not sure you addressed my point about the Behavioral Modeling Extension. If you are only going to be doing solid modeling, sure, other packages might have an advantage, real or imagined. I remain convinced, however, for organizations that are integrating and imbedding engineering content into their designs, Pro/ENGINEER has no competition. If you have contradictory evidence, I would certainly like to learn about it.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
Branch Rickey

TheTick,

I have a high general awareness of most of the high-end packages used in the automotive industry: UG, I-DEAS, CATIA, & Pro/ENGINEER. I have personally used I-DEAS. Why would it matter what packages I am familiar with? The answer to my question is not dependant on my knowledge of a particular software.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
Branch Rickey

I'll plead "no contest" on this one. I looked into BMX. It looks pretty slick. I can't find enough information about other CAD systems to make an decent comparison.

It's been 2 years since I worked on Pro/E, and 4 since the days I was using UG and Pro/E side-by-side, so I'm sure much has changed.

I'll admit that I am more than a little prejudiced by how much I've grown to detest the PTC "culture". Pro/E and its sisters are decent products, but dealing with PTC doesn't seem worth it in most cases.

thread554-73596

A mild example of PTC culture that bugs me.

Fairly typical symptoms of the PTC-sclerotic mindset. It even affects users. "You don't need an undo command because if you did need it we would have given it to you."

Hi DGP,
This forum is great reading!!!!
Anyway, I've used both SolidWorks and ProE for many years. Both are very good. SolidWorks is cheaper but lags behind ProE in performance. ProE takes a while to become proficient but worth the effort IF YOU REALLY NEED the extra power.

***Most important...consider your users. Who and how many will be using this software. Training will definately become an issue. Our company (requiring ProE) now has an ONSITE ProE professional to do all training, maintenance, upgrades, FAQ fielding, INSTEAD of $$$ costly $$$ outsourcing training classes. It has worked out very well for us.

Good luck!!! ;o)

Tick
All the cad packages love to nickel and dime you 1 package at a time. Catia is probably the worst. They have 100+ modules. PTC does have alot of bundles but you can negotiate with them to seperate things out. Even Solidworks doesn't give you everything in the base package.

ProEpro

I am surprised that the Church of the Pro/E has not burned down this web site for all of the heresy posted here! ;-)

After investing the company's largess in a "productivity" product whose maintenance costs and training costs know no end, why shouldn't they threaten you with your job if you do not spend the 1000 hours to get proficient? By the way don't charge the 1000 hours to overhead. Get the client to pay for it or do it on your own time, and be quick about it!

I know this topic is 3 years old, but instead of letting this thread degenerate into a dissertation on CAD business practices, let's try to keep on-topic.

I'm sure we could all point fingers in a million different directions, but it won't help. Each user (company) must decide for themselves which CAD system fits thier own workflow and provides the required tools they need to ultimately satisfy thier customers, and do it with as little over head as possible. [peace]

MadMango
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I think that the question “which 3D CAD is best” is not the right one. Better question is how to select the right CAD system, which will perfectly fit all my needs. This process is quite complicated.
Not only because it is expensive, but first of all that is a choice for many years to the future with connections to business partners, character of manufacturing, existing software or existing company information system. Below are some criteria, which is good to watch and evaluate.
- Character of usage. Serial/ small-lot/single part production, Design of final products/ design of components for partners.
- Existing relations with business partners. Which software they have, software and data compatibility, possibilities of conversion.
- Existing software equipment. Start from scratch, extension of existing solution, relationship to existing software
- Range of planed projects. Number of parts in one assembly, complexity of parts, type of parts (complicated surfaces, complicated geometry)
- Characteristic of planed system – Time necessary for user training, applicability for planed projects, hardware requirements, price politic, historical information about system, how is the system open for custom changes, number of users, quality and number third party applications.
- And many others

Mirekp
Mechanical calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back