Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which CFD package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mb17

Automotive
Mar 1, 2005
US
We are creating a proposal to introduce CFD into our company.

We do a lot of work for racing teams and as part of our design consultancy program, they are asking for some flow visualization.

Some of the jobs they ask are for individual component modeling, i.e. radiator inlets. We already have the CAD, just not the CFD package to model the flow.

Other clients have hinted they'd prefer full car flow visualization.

I have had experience of CFD meshing and understand the problems with CAD repair, I have seen "surface wrapping tools" and direct CAD to CFD packages such as Cosmos floworks is to Solidworks. We would like the full function of a high end CFD package, i.e. capable of dealing with a rotating object and moving floor, i.e replication of a car on a rolling road in a wind tunnel. And basic singular parts in free stream.

I have worked with fluent another colleague has worked with Star-CD but a while ago. As these forums are tracked by professional CFD engineers, what would you suggest?

We know it is a big step, and will be purchasing a dedicated multi-processor server. What other circumstances should we prepare for?

Thanks for your time,

Cheers,

M-J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear all,

My company also consider to do some CFD model on the gate valve? Do anyone know the price for the CFD package, such as fluent or CFX?

James,
How much for CFD package produced by Harvard Thermal Inc.?

We attended two demos last month by Fluent and CFDesign. Very impressive stuff, including easy transfer from CAD to CFD. However, I'd suggest you ask them for a demo using one of your own products and if you are really interested, ask them for a trial license to test drive the software yourself. The cost seems to hover around $20k (not including any "advanced" features), but you still need training, maintenance and what have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back