Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which code to use for a Cosmetics Plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPinson

Petroleum
Jan 2, 2014
FR
Hi guys!

I've been working for 6 years now in the Oil&Gas/Pharma industry as a Piping Engineer.
I worked on 2 "oil" projects and 1 "bio-pharma" project, and now i've been assigned to a Cosmetics Project.

Most of the fluids in this project don't impose a high sanitary level of piping and fitting. This is gonna be "standard" 304L materials (flanged connections, etc).
But 4 of them (Deionized Water, Raw Materials, CIP and Finished Product) need to be "sanitary".

My question is : what level of "sanitary" should I apply?
Pharma or Food?

On my bio-pharma project the ASME BPE was applicable, but this is a very high level.
Is there anyone who has been working on cosmetics plants?

By searching on the net I found that for food industry several codes and standards can be used, such as :
SMS 3008
DIN 11850
ISO 2037
3A (ASTM A270)
Those are the norms for tubes.

Can you please share your experience?

Thx

Mathieu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From your post it seems you are NOT the Client. If this is correct then you need to ask your Client what is the required Design Code.

If you are the Client then you need to ask the licensing/Permitting Agency. If your plant is in the US then it would be the FDA (Food & Drug Administration).

The requirements would most likely be the Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs).

Look here:

prognosis: Lead or Lag

Correct, I'm not the Client, but the Engineering designing the plant.
Plant is in France, for an American client.

It actually consists in moving an old existing plant from its current location to a new one, and at the same time applying the GMPs.
It means that we need to "upgrade" and improve the design of the piping systems, as at the time of the plant construction (decades ago) rules and standards were different and at a lower hygienic level.

Problem is the Client has no idea was is in use in the current plant : no piping specs, no reference of any codes, no existing documentation, etc.
So I don't know what standards of tubes and fittings (SMS, DIN, etc) they are used to have on cosmetics plants.

I just ran into this: somewhat new Code BPE - 2012 - Bioprocessing Equipment.
First edition was in 1997, so "new" for an ASME standard.

You will find that for piping [vs. sanitary tubing] that it references back to B31.3, plus the tube requirements are similar to B31.3. This Standard is an exact match to your requirements, and will not be too different from your past refinery work.

While we have not been involved in pharmaceutical and similar plants in the past 5 years, all previous plants were designed, constructed per B31.3 with added cleanliness requiremnts of the Owner/Owner's Engineer.

The latest edition of BPE would be a good start if you require a 'clean' process. B31.3 also refers to BPE for high purity piping fluïde services, so if thats your service; use this as a first hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back