Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which engineering degree most needed to work in LNG industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maturestudent14

Electrical
Apr 3, 2014
GB

I plan in the future to work Liquefied Natural gas(LNG) industry. However I don't know which engineering qualifications most needed in terms on number of staff.

I know they employ Chemical Engineer but problem, you might find a factory has only one or two chemical engineer,therefore competition might very high.

I would appreciate if you could advise on what sort of engineering qualifications to aim for, which could enhance my job prospects.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think either ChE or ME primarily, possibly civil/structural, possibly controls EE

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

LNG terminals will likely employ just about all types of engineers. As far as numbers go, I'd imagine mechanical engineers would be the highest volume type. Lots of piping, lots of rotating equipment. They will also employ process engineers, reliability engineers, electrical engineers, etc.

I work with LNG bulk tanks and most of are engineers are ME's. You might want to study/research pressure vessels and heat exchangers as a primer to working with LNG. Now if you are interested in LNG and not so much the storage and distribution, I would think ChemE or even Petroleum might be a better option.

I'm sitting here in the office we share with an LNG facility (I'm in the pipeline 'sister' company) and they have one EE, one ME, and they're looking at hiring a ChemE. We're in that dark pit between when the gasification of foreign LNG went away and the liquifaction of domestic LNG for overseas shipment.

As another commenter said, ME's might be in a good spot with all the new rotating equipment in the liquifaction process, followed by ChemE and EE.

old field guy

Petroleum Engineers are hugely concentrated in upstream jobs. That is the last qualification I would expect to be in demand in LNG.

ME's are the most common folks in Reliability/Integrity Management. Process seems to be about 50/50 ME and ChemE. Rotating equipment and pressure vessels are more often ME than ChemE.

Today's tendency to run everything (including the air-dryer in the men's room) off of control logic is pretty much assuring that controls guys will be in demand for a while.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back