Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Which Fortran?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1969grad

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2003
US
Last Fortran program I had was Microsoft Power Station Fortran V1.0 which Microsoft dumped. When the program began to give me fits on the network version of Windows 98 I threw in the towel.

I would like to once again use some of the programs that I previously wrote so I need to buy a new complier, editor, etc.

But which one? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And what is the impact of Microsoft's Visual Studio on my choices?

In my case the cost of the program comes out of my bank account so cost is a consideration.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use cygwin, which doesn't have a fancy GUI, but I don't need that, I just need a grinder Fortran compiler. So if you know Fortran well, or are used to the old method of Fortran programming, that is, line by line programming and debugging, then cygwin will work great for you. And is free!

I just want to grind numbers in Fortran code. All calculations would be contained from within the program and would not import subroutines in other languages.

My old programs used a screen input which I would like to continue.

I once took two classes in C and do not like it for many reasons. I don't know anything about Unix.

Xerf's suggestion of using SilverFrost (formerly known as Salford) will meet all your requirements and can easily be run from a DOS window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back