Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Which Hangers for supporting floor joists with steel beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfstructural

Structural
Feb 1, 2009
US
I'm designing a beam to carry the load in place of a bearing wall to be removed. the opening is about 20 long and carrying a parallam and 2x12 floor joists on each side of the beam. I am using a W12x35 with blocking bolted through the web. Using face mounted hangers seems to be the easy solution but I for some reason would like more redundancy and would opt for top mounted hangers. the problem is it is not so easy to located and install top mounted hangers to line up with the existing joists exactly and then raise the beam into place. The joists will not be sitting on the beam but in line with it. I've attached a detail below. wanted to get general thoughts on face mounted hangers for this application. I was trying to nail a small ledger under the hangers but there is not enough room.
Thanks,

Screenshot_2024-04-22_230114_rv3aoh.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I almost always use regular face-mount hangers for this application. If I have a wood beam framing into the blocking I use a bigger face-mount hanger unless the load is too high, then I go with a welded top-flange hanger. But that's rare on these types of retrofits. Just make sure to make note that the web blocking is to be full-depth.

I wouldn't worry about face-mount hangers on this, they are done all day every day. I see way more issues or bad installations on top flange hangers than face-mount. Plus it's just realistic to put them on without getting to the top flange.

Just a couple of notes, but a W12 w/ 2x12 joists is going to look like shit unless they fur down the whole ceiling to make it flush. Gotta go w/ a totally flush W10 or W14/W16 IMO.

Why HUS210 hangers for just regular joists? They are like 5x the price of LU or LUS.

Definitely note the hanger size and nailing/screwing for the hanger that's picking up the parallam beam somewhere on the plan.

All good points from jerseyshore. That's also the approach I would take. There should be no issue supporting the floor joists with the flush mount hangers. The load from the other beam perhaps deserves a little more attention depending on the magnitude of that load, but I imagine the same approach may also work there.

mfstructural said:
Using face mounted hangers seems to be the easy solution but I for some reason would like more redundancy and would opt for top mounted hangers
Well, what's your reason? I would say don't outsmart yourself here. While perhaps the top mounted hangers are better "for some reason", this will also be more difficult to construct correctly and so, you're likely to end up with a worse finished product. I would let the simple solution win.

Why is your top flange smaller than your bottom flange in your drawing? Seems like a small thing, but over/under estimating how all that goes together could leave you with an unbuildable or, perhaps worse, questionably built detail.

Thanks for all the comments, the drawing was in progress and prepared by someone helping with drafting. That was fixed. I did change it to LU face mounted hangers as it's much easier to construct. I can't say why in some situations I prefer top mounted hangers, but I believe after reviewing that face mounted are much better for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back