Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Which is a better power analyses software, ETAP or SKM

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuhead

Electrical
Oct 20, 2006
US
I am looking to purchase new power analyses software and cost is not an issue. Load Flow, Short Circuit, Coordination, Arc Flash, etc.. I need to know which program is better for heavy commercial / light industrial projects.

Please help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please do a search of the forum first. This topic has been discussed many times before and you will find your answer.

I've used both, and I prefer ETAP, though SKM has some advantages for some applications.

ETAP has an easier to use interface, is much more robust and elegant, and is much more suited to having multiple configurations and scenarios, and for industrial systems with lots of medium and high voltage devices and protection schemes, and has better libraries and coordination graph interfaces.

SKM has better arc flash options, and some device setting output reports.

Hi,
I have experienced with three power system analysis software, ETAP2.5 (1000 buses), MIPOWER & EDSA (1000 buses). I found ETAP is very good for distribuion sector & EDSA is good for generation/transmision & distribution. But, i think price wise ETAP ($14500) is cheapper than EDSA.

Thanks

In my experience with SKM, Eracs, and EDSA I have found SKM to be vastly superior in terms of :-
- Creating user defined outputs of studies based on queries for mutliple scenarios. These reports can be exported to excel or word.
- Plotting of time-current curves the format of which is user defined and exported to Word.
- Creating single-line-diagrams with user defined study results of studies adjacent to the relevant device symbols.
- STudy resutls on report format with user defined parameters.
- Short-circuit results showing currents in all network branches and voltage at all network buses for a fault at a specified bus.

I have tried ETAP, Edsa, and ESA. ESA was very easy to learn - ETAP was a close second. EDSA is the cheapest, but it is easy to see why. It leaves a million files all over your PC and is not that user freindly.

Just an opinion.

Regards,
TULUM

SKM is the one I prefer as I have used them since 1990. However your customer may have an input. I did some work for Saudi Aramco and they would only accept ETAP.

Thanks,

Mark

I have experienced good success using ETAP and have also seen good results ESA, SKM.

Bennefits that I saw with ETAP (that might also exist with the others):

1) Good customer support.
2) The seller does not compete with me as a consultant (it is a little discouraging to witness one's software vendor selling basic consulting services to my customers)
3) The price is reasonable for later upgrades to include more busses or more features (you can start very modest).
4) Includes a 'sequence of events' simulator that is handy for trouble shooting.

I believe ETAP is the only one nuclear certifiable. That is not a requirement for me but says something about their methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back