Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which light do you prefer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industrial
Aug 11, 2006
US
Good Morning,
We are in the process of having another warehouse built in another state and I have been asked the question of which style of lighting would we prefer. I am familiar with the Metal halides and High Pressure Sodium’s but I have found some information about Florescence high bay. I know the difference between them all however, the question is what your opinion on the different lights is? If you had to make the decision which one would you prefer and why? I have listed some of the specs. To help you make a suggestion. Thank you in advance for you time and suggestions. My choice is the Florescence High Bay, It based on the quality of the light, Energy efficient, Maintenance friendly and life span.

Building size: 30000 sq ft.
Primary Voltage: 480V
Style: Steel Building/ insulated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on the fluorescent light, I think. I personally find some halide lights too "cold," i.e., too much blue. But that's ditto for fluorescent lights as well.

So, for me, a "warmer" color light would be on the list of requirements as well.

TTFN

How tall is the building?

If you're interested in lowest life-cycle costs, it's probably going to be HPS followed by MH. Some people prefer high-bay fluorescent because of instant restrike ability, color rendition, and re-lamping. But if this is a high-bay application, HID lighting will be the lowest cost option, IMO.

That height is getting down into the range where fluorescents may be more cost-competitive. But I'd still expect HPS to be less expensive overall, when all costs are considered.

Building height and mounting height are key factors.

Unless there was some compelling reason not yet identified, I'd design around low-bay HPS. If color discrimination was an issue, I'd look next at MH. Fluorescent would be my third choice. But YMMV.

2571; Since you are talking a lot of fixtures in that space, I would choose likely candidates in the three families and replace what's there in three spots and then live with them for a few weeks. You will then be able to fit out the whole place with confidence with a tested luminaire.

This would let you even calculate the energy differences if you check the various currents.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

We've been using pulse start metal halide high-bay fixtures in buildings of that height. The light level doesn't drop as the bulb ages nearly as badly as standard metal halides do.

The installations we've been happiest with are ones where we have painted the interior of the structure white and used clear acrylic reflectors, although they are more expensive than the standard aluminum ones.

That's correct. As I understand it, the pulse start ballasts don't consume as much tungsten from the electrode surfaces when they start. The evaporated tungsten coats the inside surface of the arc tube in a standard metal halide bulb and turns it black after a short period of time, thus reducing output.

Since the main difference is in the starting circuit, if this is a warehouse where the lights are left on continuously it may not be worth the extra cost.

hi there, here is my opinion. Usaully is the HPS/MH lights what you use for such heights. As the other fellas posted it depends in the lighting requirements you have. I have designed with fluorescent high bays before (from 6 to 8 lamps per fixture) Why? First, because project required to use these type, second they were trying different lighting levels (2,4,6 or 8 lamps burning) If this is your case, than I would say, fluorescent is the best.
just my 2-cents, regards

P.D. check the METALUX 2HB model, these are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back