Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which motor to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am currently doing a project and was wondering if anyone could help. I want to use a motor which will be capable of lifting a 14 stone man using a worm wheel. I wish to use mains power and wa wondering what type of transformer i would need and what type of motor.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggestion: More information is needed, e.g. how soon do you need to have the 14 stone man moved from the point A to B, (in a few seconds, minutes, hours, days, years, decades,..) by that motor and concept.

One stone is 16 Pounds so that is a 224 pound man (or ~100kg). One Horsepower lifts 550 lbs(~250 kg) 1 foot (~30 cm) in one second. 4Hp is about 3kW. Use the motor size appropriate for your desired speed and set your gears by the RPM on the motor labelplate (Usually around 3500 or 1750 RPM in North America <60 Hz Power> and 2900 or 1450 RPM Everywhere Else <50 Hz Power>) Size your transformer to the motor (If it's rated in kVA Use 1.25 kVA per kW) if you're not sure use the next larger size for the transformer. Find out What voltage the &quot;mains&quot; are and what voltage your motor is, use the apporopriate TXFMR. I would reccomend a motor voltage of 240- 480 volts. And be safe when you hook up the electricity, make sure whoever does it knows what he's doing.
good luck, -Dan76

fro120,

I know of PM motors that are used in the healthcare industry to lift wheelchairs and such into vehicles. There are some that use worm gearing that can lift 300 lbs using only 12 VDC. These may be of no use to you, depending on distance of lift, but they are less than 1 HP and may be cheaper.

Suggestion to the second posting from the top. It appears that the worm wheel may have some impact on the time of lifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back