Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which of these structures is stronger? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edison123

Electrical
Oct 23, 2002
IN
Which of these structures is stronger in terms of resisting the bending?

Drawing_bofhtd.jpg

Muthu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A, because the direction of the force puts the arch into tension.

In B, the arch would try to splay out, and my gut feeling is that this would induce some additional bending into the adjacent line segments (kind of like a P delta effect).

Crabby T is correct. But only because B is more likely to have stability issues. This would depend mostly on the structure width, which is undefined in the OP.

either ... how symmetric is the material in tension and compression ? For many metals Fcy is lower than Fty
Then how symmetric is the cross section ? If square of round then then results different from T (or L or Pi).

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

B if done as a reinforced concrete section? The corner joints at the ends of the arch are opening in A but closing in B, and I prefer a concrete arch in compression.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why yes, I do in fact have no idea what I'm talking about

Commutator... that's a word I haven't used in a bit.

They'll be about the same globally, but you're likely to get local bending of the fins.

Looks more like an electrical failure, possibly from cooling spaces blocked with paint.

Is that also a groove? Orthographic pictures make for optical illusions.

How is there force applied to the middle?

No, that's not structural...not unless you have debris in the housing that impacted the commutator. Was that brazed in section a repair, or original manufacturing? Could be a low quality copper sheet or sheets laminated together. One comes apart while it's rotating, flashover, and boom - local damage to several. But I think your original question is unrelated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back