Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Which short circuit level can I assume for a 13.2 kV line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dvhez

Electrical
Jun 19, 2018
CL
I'm designing a project where the only information I have is the voltage level. Which short circuit level and X/R ratio can I safely assume in order to make a power flow and short circuit study in etap?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dvhes said:
Which short circuit level and X/R ratio can I safely assume
You can't.
The levels sort of depend on the utility/generation MVA and the transformer impedance.
Okay, that's wrong
The levels absolutely depend on the utility/generation MVA and the transformer impedance.

Harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction

Thanks for your answer!. So in other words the best we can do is to design a project assuming an infinite bus? As we don't know how 'strong' is the PCC we cannot assume a lower value.

One of my clients has a 138kv service 385 MVA. The client owns the xfm,13.8kv, 20 MVA, 8%
Another has 69KV service, 100MVA, xfm 13.8kv, 20MVA, 8%Z.

These are both really little utilities and the clients are at the end of a long line. The xfm impedance pretty well overwhelms the effect of the utility. So, if the transformer data is available, proceed as you said - infinite bus and have at it.

And I'm thinking you already knew this. Was there some other issue in question?

Aside:
If you don't have it, get the Moon Yen paper on calculating SCC. IEEE will have it. It is from the 70s.

But wait, I have ETAP, why would I need some cobweb paper from the dark ages.
I have ETAP as well. And, there are still some times when it is convenient to do an SCC calc without taking a couple of hours to set it up in ETAP.

Harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction

According to IEC 60076-5/2000 Power transformers –
Part 5:
Ability to withstand short circuit
Table 2 – Short-circuit apparent power of the system
For system voltages between 7.2 to 24 kV 500 MVA is recommended.
This is the three-phase short-circuit at terminals of 55 MVA and 11% short-circuit impedance at 13.2 kV. If the apparent rated power of a transformer will be 20 MVA and 8% impedance the short-circuit power will be 250 MVA only.
X/R it could be as per ANSI 37.10 [for 55 MVA 30-32 and for 20 MVA 22]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back