Status
Not open for further replies.

carthago

Mechanical
Jun 13, 2003
NL

Which software has been used for ?

1/- API 579 ( the part 2 with the examples) and

2/-ASME VIII ( he 3 booklets with the examples of division one and division 2)

was it simply a text editor ? and the calculations have been made behind the "curtens" ?
or is it a formal software dedicated to maths, etc

a/-I used to use Mathacad version 12 and 13 , 14 ..but mathcad is becoming cumbersome and is now PTC , not communicating with Mathcad previous versions which quite annoying !!

b/-Using excel/spreadsheets is handy, but one can not see the formula's and can not use the various symboles ( greek letters, math notation..) and one has to keep a good track of cells.

Please let me know if you have an idea

thanks a lot

take care and thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure, but I recall from my masters degree that scientific papers/text/etc used to be made up with freeware tools based on LaTeX (pronounced latek) by a lot of students or PhD people and the likes. It gives a very clear format, but it is more text programming than editing.

Those documents were produced in Microsoft Word. In most cases they show step by step calculations including formulas which can be computed using a calculator, with nothing "behind the curtains". Some more complicated problems with results presented in tabular form (such as Level 2 LTAs in 579-2) were likely done in something similar to Excel with results only provided.

Personally, I would prefer to use scripting (such as Python) as I find it easier to check the formulas involved compared to cell references in something such as Excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back