Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which to choose? Cosmos, Nastran, Catia, Ansys Abaqus... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arranot

Industrial
Mar 4, 2009
ES
Hello all,
Os story that is history. I work in the company are considering implementing a computer program using finite elements. And I am told that I report on which is best suited for our needs. The company manufactures machines for the steel sector as boxes rolling, straightening, shearing ...
Usually what you use to perform linear static calculations. And perhaps some of fatigue.
What program do you think is best for us? Cosmos, Femap, Nastran, Catia, Ansys, Abaqus ..

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My management love the continuous scale, without the pesky mesh showing of course. And if I give them a video I can do no wrong for the rest of the week ;)

If only I can figure out how to recreate Dances with Wolves in Abaqus I'll be set for many lifetimes.

Another thing to remember is this: Don't ever let something be red unless it is a problem. I've heard a few stories of engineers trying to explain that an area on a plot is not a problem but because it was red the management team insisted that it should be fixed.

How about Altair Suite? (Hyperworks, Hypermesh, Hyperview, Radioss, Hypermotion, etc.) AS far as meshing, I think it is pretty impressive, but I am not experienced enough to comment on the whole package. Anyone?

Hypermesh is great for shell structures, not so great for solids.

> Don't ever let something be red unless it is a problem.

Best bit of advice I've had in ages!

Hypermesh is OK for meshing solids, but excels at car body structures, which are plates.

The built in solver, Optimesh, is fine as a linear solver, and the optimisation routines that use it are fairly easy to use and give useful results.

The user interface is quite unbelievably different to anything you'd expect, which makes the learning curve much steeper than it ought to be. Having said that the tutorials are quite good, and quick, so it is usually easy enough to find out how to do something obscure.

Hypergraph is the best 2D graphing package I have ever used.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back