Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which university has the best aeronautical engineering in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocincetilop

Jul 10, 2011
BR
Hi,

I'm in the first year of undergraduate in mechanical engineering and I pretend to get a master's in aeronautical engineering, but I don't know which university has a good graduate program.

Thank you all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

oops ... ESL (i hope) ... "pretend" should be "intend" ...

if you're in first year, get through a couple years of undergrad to see what you want to do next ... maybe postgrad, maybe industry, maybe "get the hell out of dodge" and swap to something completely different.

University of Hard Knocks....

There are many good ones... MIT, Purdue, state U's, etc.

Look around. Is money an object???

If you got an AE from any decent state U - and your grades are very good - you could easily get some scholarship money to any of the "best" schools...

Ha, this is the type of question where the answer will probably depend a lot on which school the person being asked the question went to.

Also define good, is it the one with the highest grad employment rate in relevant jobs, or highest starting pay, or most interested research...

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Sorry guy, too many time out of here

@rb1957: Yeah, you're right. English is not my first language.
I'm sure that engineering is what I want for my life since the 5th grade. (specially aircraft engineering) Haha

@MiketheEngineer: Probably I wont need scholarship money. So I think it makes the things easier, right?

@KENAT: I'm studying in the Polytechnic School of the University of São Paulo (Brazil), it's the main engineering school of Latin America. My grades are about 7,5 (ten-point scale)

Another question guys...

I want to study and work with aircraft engineering but with the mechanical systems in this area, like turbine engine and this kind of stuff. Not fuselage, aerodynamics etc...

I've been researching, and get a masters degree in mechanical engineering won't give me the desired specific focus. So, AE still the recommended engineering for me right?

@gutboy17

I went to Cal Poly, with California's economy the way it is at the moment, it's really going down the tubes.

Classes are extremely overcrowded, the engineering department was explicitly told to drop something like 2000 students. Fully half of the guys from my dorm have dropped out over the last few years. Signing up for classes is a huge pain and chances are you'll be crashing at least a few, and if you miss any AERO sign up, you'll be held back a year because they're only offered once... If you can somehow avoid all of that though, the professors are (for the most part) very good, and the facilities are awesome. Fantastic place to live too. Well... except for the fires, landslides, and earthquakes.

Anywho,
@Ocinetilop if you're looking for a place to get a masters and you're only a freshman, don't even worry about it. A lot can happen in four years. Where you go will largely be determined by what you have the money for and what your GPA is. Wait till you get into upper division engineering courses before deciding on grad school, see if it's what you really want and see if it's really the best plan. A lot of the time, people will grdaduate with a bachelors and find a job that will pay to send you back for masters.

Also, mechanical and aeronautical are exactly the same until senior year. Even then plenty of mechs work as aeronautical engineers anyways.

The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Don't count out some of the Canadian schools. McGill and the University of Toronto have the premier programs. These schools are some of the best in the world. Carleton and Ryerson also have good aero programs. Graduates from these schools can become P.Eng. licensed just about anywhere.

Where to go depends on what you want to achieve in what area or subcategory of study. If you want to be an academic or do preliminary design, there are some schools better for that. If you want to do rotorcraft aerodynamics or fatigue testing, there are some schools better for that. If you want to be a pragmatic design engineer, there are schools for that as well.

What sort of aircraft engineer do you want to be?

I'd say consider the UK too, if English language and strong gas turbine industry are the driving consideration in choice of location of school.

However, Masters are (or at least in the 90's were) done differently there.

You typically took Masters of Engineering instead of Bachelors, the first 2 years were common with the Bachelors, the 3rd year wasn't much different and the 4th year was the 'Masters' bit, although it might include classes bachelors folks took in their last year. I was on the masters course through my first 2 years but struggled a bit and got bumped down to bachelors.

You could do an MPhil there, but it was more like a mini PhD than a taught Masters.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Lets not forget he/she is a 1st year undergrad student. There are still many things that can/should happen before you even consider going to grad school.

First off, how do you even know what really want to be in engineering? Many people graduate, start working, and find out that they don't like it as much as had hoped. They then try another field entirely. In fact, all of my good friends have done this. Some went into business, medicine, or law. I was the only foolish to stay in engineering, haha (kidding...sort of).

You may want to consider getting a job after finishing undergrad and do the masters part time. This will give you valuable experience and make the masters that much more useful. Otherwise, you will continue down a road of academia that does not always prepare you well for the real world. I did both masters and PhD part time and seemed to get more out of it than most. I can same the same about others who have done it this way. There are quite a few good schools that offer online programs (even a few 10 schools last time I looked). Plus, if you find out something else peaks your interest (you are still very young), you can still change your direction without too much effort.

There was a recent thread about someone who went all the way through to a PhD, but didn't seem to have plan beyond that. I suppose he figured that collecting degrees was a "good thing", but it only works if it is focused. Having experience along the way and being sure about your decision will make it that much more useful. You want to have a plan for the degree will gain you beyond just obtaining it. Just thought I would share a different perspective.

Brian

Yup, I totally agree with Brian. Getting some industry experience at an internship/ co-op / part time job etc will help you far more than any amount of research on the internet.

The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

stkyle & gutboy17...

WOW... things have sure changed since I graduated with an Aero-degree from CPSU [76] 77 [long story]...

Regards, Wil Taylor

Trust - But Verify!

We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.

For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back